• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What species can live in an ant terrarium?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tmhernandez77 - Posted January 29 2018 - 11:08 AM

Tmhernandez77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, CA

So I have a large colony of Solenopsis xyloni, and I'm moving them into a very large glass aquarium with a naturalistic setup.  I am wondering what species I can add that the ants won't wipeout, things like springtails, isopods, millipedes, etc.  I would like to make sure I have some sort of cycle that is constantly reducing waste, eating mold and fungus, etc.  

Are there other species that I can add?  Will my ants kill my dwarf white isopods?  Any info would be much appreciated.  This terrarium will be in the back of my classroom, the kids love it, and I would like to include as much diversity of life as possible.

Thanks!

Veromessor pergandei - Liometopum occidentale - Solenopsis xyloni - Unknown species

#2 Offline Derpy - Posted January 29 2018 - 6:02 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
I would suggest adding isopod and springtails some time before adding your ants as it gives them a chance to reproduce in the terrarium. Because of how aggressive and how explosive solenopsis are I wouldn’t recommend adding anything else unless nessecary.

Edited by Derpy, January 29 2018 - 6:02 PM.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#3 Offline BMM - Posted January 30 2018 - 10:29 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I had an isopod colony last year and tried using them as a protein source for my ants. None of the species I tried it with showed the least bit of interest in them, so I expect they'd coexist just fine in a terrarium.

#4 Offline Derpy - Posted January 30 2018 - 11:43 AM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
Yeah many insects choose to leave isopods alone unless they are starving.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users