• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

reinforced plaster

formicarium

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline smares - Posted January 5 2018 - 6:07 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado

Has anyone tried reinforcing plaster nests? I read on the inter web that plaster can be reinforced by mixing it with white glue. supposedly this makes it stronger, more durable and reduces permeability. I am thinking that if it is less permeable it won't harbor mold as well and will last longer. Thoughts?

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 5 2018 - 6:49 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You'll need to pay special attention to any ratios and material names to ensure you don't encounter cure inhibition.  Aside from that, most of us don't use hobby plaster (plaster of paris), but instead use gypsum stone or cement formulations like "Hydrostone," which are already very hard and relatively impermeable.

• Zeiss likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline smares - Posted January 6 2018 - 9:18 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

So I did some experiments and found that adding a few drops of mod podge does give a more water resistant product buttttt....it takes a long time to cure, around 12 hours or so.  I found another product called water putty that is harder and more water resistant but much more brittle. cures fast too. I'm going to play with the water putty a bit more.

#4 Offline smares - Posted January 7 2018 - 5:12 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Founding chamber made with thin reinforced plaster. the hole in the bottom if for cotton to absorb water from the reservoir. Sits nicely in a 2 oz container.

20180107 174617
20180107 174634
20180107 174643

• Spamdy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users