• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Baby powder and rubbing alcohol.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Noah Norman - Posted January 2 2018 - 7:45 PM

Noah Norman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I am going to start keeping solenopsis invicta. I was going to use fluon to contain them, but it is very expensive. I have decided to use baby powder and rubbing alcohol but I have a few questions.

1. How much do I mix together do I just do a half and half ratio.

2. How long does it last, I am planning on putting a very big border probably 6 inches, and have it very thick. The room is around s 70°f and I have a ceiling fan always running.

3. When it starts becoming ineffective can I just reapply over the current border.

4. Do you think that baby powder and rubbing alcohol will actually contain them? I know that Mikey Bustos uses it for S. geminata but will it work for S. Invicta?

#2 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted January 2 2018 - 8:24 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Yes, it will work for them, I believe you make it like a paste, apply, then let it dry and the resulting residue is the barrier, so...

If you live in US, not sure why you would want to raise RIFA because of the dangers involved let alone how invasive they are plus could be illegal where you live. I would suggest another species if this is your first time ant keeping. Highly aggressive, and grow extremely fast, not a good combo for an inexperienced ant keeper.

Edited by StopSpazzing, January 2 2018 - 8:26 PM.

• Zeiss likes this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#3 Online Zeiss - Posted January 2 2018 - 8:36 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

If this is your first species, I also do not suggest keeping them, because it's risky to keep them and they are very hard to keep contained.  They can grow rapidly in population and have been known to escape very easily.  They're also EXTREMELY INVASIVE.  If they get out, good luck.  

For barriers, fluon (PTFE-30) is the best thing available and I suggest nothing other than that for this species, just because it has been proven to work very well.  If you do wish to use your solution, I would reapply at least once a month.  I'm not sure how to make the concoction, but I'm sure others on here will be willing to help you out on that part.  You might also want to put a lid on your container as a secondary barrier as well as coat the underside with the barrier of choice. 

Also, Mikey Bustos is not a great role model for the ant community.  He doesn't warn anybody about the dangers of invasive species and doesn't inform anyone about the possibilities of harm done to releasing ants.  (If he actually has, correct me, but last I know, he doesn't do anything of the sort.)

Edited by Zeiss, January 2 2018 - 8:53 PM.

#4 Offline Noah Norman - Posted January 2 2018 - 9:13 PM

Noah Norman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Is this what your talking about, https://www.fuelcell...n-dispersion-2/

I am new to ant keeping but I don't think I would be able to supply them with enough food that will cause them to create a big colony that gets out of control, they should find an even balance of workers with the food they receive. I plan on having poison and a vacuum on hand, the barrier will also cover the entire wall of the out world, plus a lid. You might be thinking that this is alot of work for keeping one species, but I have always wanted to keep red ants. My biggest colony has around 20 workers and it is a camponotus chromaiodes colony, it's nothing compared to the Invicta but I think I can handle it.

Edited by Noah Norman, January 2 2018 - 9:18 PM.

#5 Online Zeiss - Posted January 2 2018 - 9:38 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Yes, that is it.  

I still don't think you should be keeping them.  Camponotus are generally a slow growing genus and are nothing like Solenopsis invicta.  It isn't a lot to keep that species, there need to be many precautions set in place for Solenopsis invicta. You may have always wanted to keep this species of fire ants, but do be careful with them, they are escape artists. 

Where do you live?  You want to make sure you aren't keeping them in U.S. county where it's illegal to, because this species is very high on the kill list for the government.    

Edited by Zeiss, January 2 2018 - 9:40 PM.

#6 Offline Hunter - Posted January 3 2018 - 5:38 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

if you are new and want something like that why not try less invasive, and a less pain in the balls Myrmica species

#7 Offline Noah Norman - Posted January 3 2018 - 6:47 AM

Noah Norman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I live in NC. I tried catching queens Last year and the only ones I could find we're solenopsis invicta, except I didn't realize it was them so I tried hibernating them.

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted January 3 2018 - 7:00 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

....I don't know how to delete replies..

Edited by sgheaton, January 3 2018 - 7:02 AM.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users