• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Conifer Resins: Anyone Tried This Stuff?

conifer resin ants austrailia anti-fungal anti-bacterial anti-microbial

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline EllisWyatt - Posted January 1 2018 - 7:08 PM

EllisWyatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOrem, Utah

Back in September, Jordan from Ants Austrailia posted a cool video about wood ants. In it he made a claim about conifer resin being anti-microbial and preventing fungal and bacterial growth (link). I poked around a bit on the internet and verified that there is scholarly work confirming this claim. I'm wondering if anyone has used it in their formicaria to improve the health of their colony. The fact that only wood ants are known to do this (at least all the papers I found referenced specifically Formica spp. using resins this way), makes me wary of just throwing a bunch of it into every test tube and formicarium. Has anyone had any experience with using conifer resin with Formica or non-Formica spp.? Obviously I don't expect you to have data quantifying the effects. I'm mainly wondering if there are obvious problems. Like some ants eating it and it being poisonous to them or something like that.

I figure that if it genuinely is as beneficial to non-Formica spp., shouldn't we all be using this stuff? (I saw some older threads on this topic, but since none seemed to have any specific info beyond musings, I decided not to necro an old thread and make a new one instead.)

Edited by EllisWyatt, January 1 2018 - 7:16 PM.

• T.C. and Mettcollsuss like this

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted January 1 2018 - 9:03 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Yeah, I seen it in a documentary.  Some species apparently gather the resin for disinfectant purposes. But I think it's used for what the colony naturally gets on them foraging. So when they colony crawls back on the resin it kills everything. Your outworld in captivity I doubt would contain any of the harmful fungal and bacteria they encounter in the wild. You can't coat it on your nests if that's what your thinking. That just wouldn't work well.

• Mettcollsuss likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline weathmatth - Posted January 3 2018 - 5:53 AM

weathmatth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm sure only Wood Ants are known to do this because of the formic acid they produce is used to break the resin down into something usable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users