• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dean's Lasius neoniger journal

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 Offline dean_k - Posted February 6 2015 - 6:56 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Feb 6, 2015

They were having a field day today. It's been a day since their relocation and a lot of nanitcs were out in outworld. Today also marked the first day I actually saw them drinking sugar water directly from a liquid feeder.

They've also modified their nest entrance to be smaller. They are also slowly covering walls with substrate but it's very random. They weren't actively accepting protein but today was a different story when nanitics went crazy over a juicy piece of mealworm. They were eating it and immediately went back to feed the queen.

The first video is just a short video ( 2 min ) showing the nanitics from eating the mealworm piece from top.

The second video is a lot longer ( 9:45 ) and shows their modified entrance as well as the look into their new nest itself. You can also see a worker eating mealworm and going straight back to the queen to feed her.

Edited by dean_k, February 6 2015 - 6:57 PM.

#42 Offline InsideAntz - Posted February 7 2015 - 4:25 AM

InsideAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBensalem PA (Philadelphia)

I can just watch ants do there thing for hours... they don't seem to mind the camera... when getting close to mine, I have to redirect my breathing because they freak out if they feel the air movement. Just would love to have more hrs in the day and set up a video... thanks for sharing here. 

#43 Offline dean_k - Posted February 8 2015 - 7:55 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 8, 2015

These girls have been vigorously consuming mealworms pieces I've been giving them.

I've also noticed an interesting behavior. I saw a small mound and wondered whether it was a big file of eggs. It turns out that they buried larvae in there. Presumably, those larvae in the mound were to spin cocoon soon.

The current head count for this colony is : 1 queen, 11 nanitics, 10ish eggs, 4 cocoons, and some larvae (5ish).

Their number is going to surpass my Myrmica colony ( reaching 3 years ) soon at this rate.

Edited by dean_k, February 8 2015 - 7:57 AM.

#44 Offline dean_k - Posted February 10 2015 - 3:57 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 10, 2015

The queen laid a new batch of eggs. She was being fed well for last few days. You can see workers scrambling the egg file away from the light.

So far, they've been very active. I hope the next generation is born with bigger size soon.

IMG_0234_zps0mkq6csz.jpg

#45 Offline Michaelofvancouver - Posted February 10 2015 - 4:05 PM

Michaelofvancouver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Is this the same colony as the one in your ID thread?

Here's my leopard gecko/ant youtube: https://goo.gl/cRAFbK

My ant website.

It contains a lot of information about ants, guides, videos, links, and more!

If you have any feedback, please post here or PM me, don't be shy!

I currently keep:

Camponotus modoc

Formica podzolica

#46 Offline dean_k - Posted February 10 2015 - 4:10 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Yes.

#47 Offline dean_k - Posted February 13 2015 - 4:35 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 13, 2015

The queen is, apparently, on roll. She has laid yet another batch and the egg file is pretty big now. There are also 7ish cocoons as well as about the same amount of larvae.

You can see a worker trying to drag away the big egg file @ 1:29.

While nanitic number remains the same as before, 11.

IMG_0251_zps4dlb9sor.jpg

#48 Offline dean_k - Posted February 17 2015 - 8:25 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 17, 2015

I gave them a BSF (Black Solider Fly) few days ago and they absolutely loved it. They even dragged it into their nest which was my first time seeing them drag food into their nest.

The queen is firing her cylinders and laid even more eggs. The nest now maintains three spots for brood. The queen's gaster appears bloated significantly also.

There are so many eggs that I can't count accurately. There are probably well over 30 eggs, and 10+ cocoons. Larvae are hard to be seen because they are often inside of small mounds they create with substrate.

One thing to note. They don't seem to like superworms. They eat mealworm but have been rejecting superworm for some reasons.

#49 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted February 17 2015 - 3:18 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

My Lasius neoniger colony has been put to other use in the mean time of being gone for so long nice colony...

#50 Offline dean_k - Posted February 21 2015 - 6:59 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 21, 2015

The focus of today's update is the queen's bloated gaster. She kept running away from my LED-always-on microscope, so I was forced to use my old macroscope that doesn't have LED light on but has lower quality video.

First of all, a close shot of her. I am planning to get Canon DSLR late this year (My X-mas fund...) until then this is the closest shot I can get.

Untitled_zpsfxhb6pkp.png

The queen's gaster is very big. It's enlarged by 50% probably. The second generation workers are on its way and there are well over 10 cocoons. Larvae are hard to be seen because they are buried. I don't know how they feed them but they do their thing. I've seen a worker digging out a larva from middle of nowhere within their nest, so larvae could be anywhere.

#51 Offline dean_k - Posted February 24 2015 - 9:47 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 25, 2015

They have a small mound of brood now. And again, larvae is nowhere to be seen. I just see eggs and suddenly cocoons show up.

There are 15+ cocoon and God knows how many eggs.

The population is 13 workers.

#52 Offline antmaniac - Posted February 24 2015 - 10:53 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Very nice colony and journal. The queen is always scared of light, maybe due to the fact that she was raised in total darkness. The brood may not be scared of the light, but they do panic when they sensed that the queen is panicking.

#53 Offline dean_k - Posted March 2 2015 - 8:24 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 2, 2015

Number of workers are now at 20. They took out one dead worker which I assume it was one of the nanitics.

There are so many eggs that I can no longer give you an accurate figure. There are a buttload of eggs and larvae and 10+ cocoons.

It seems though that the 2nd generation workers are roughly the same size as the nanitics...

#54 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 3 2015 - 1:02 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Awesome! So many eggs! :)

#55 Offline dean_k - Posted March 6 2015 - 3:23 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 6, 2015

These girls are pigs. I used to feed them a single piece of mealworm every 3 days. Now I need to give them a piece pretty much everyday.

A lot of eggs have turned into larvae and you can see a big larvae field now. There are still a lot of eggs left.

To sum it up, they are doing well so far.

#56 Offline dean_k - Posted March 9 2015 - 6:33 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 9, 2015

Current population: 25 + queen

The queen laid new batch of eggs. There is a nice huge larvae field also. I also focus on larvae mound at 3:06. It's where larvae are buried to spin cocoon. At least, that is what I believe. You can see larvae trying to do something in the mound from the video.

They are eating extremely well and active in outworld.

IMG_0276_zpslucpvzb3.jpg

Edited by dean_k, March 9 2015 - 6:35 AM.

#57 Offline dean_k - Posted March 13 2015 - 5:31 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 13, 2015

The colony is expected to have a huge population boost.

Lots of cocoons, many larvae and some eggs.

#58 Offline dean_k - Posted March 14 2015 - 2:49 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 14, 2015

Just two pictures. Sometimes pictures show you things better than videos. When taking videos, ants react to it and move brood around.

So, I took 2 pictures to show you their brood spots as they are.

IMG_0307_zps4usjgjcm.jpg

IMG_0306_zpsmq13kqk5.jpg

#59 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 15 2015 - 1:15 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Nice! :)

#60 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 15 2015 - 2:06 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

Pretty cool, 

Sometimes pictures show you things better than videos

- I prefer looking at pictures, (my works does not allow me to watch youtube  :blush: )

IMG 5858

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users