• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bay Area Anting spots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 20 2017 - 3:10 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

So here's why I made this thread. In the past two days, I went to not one, not two, but THREE parks, all of which were dense in vegetation, and all I found ant-wise were Argentine ants and the occasional winter ant (P. Imparis). For this reason, I wanted to ask anyone who has gone anting in/near the bay area, what locations to hit and what species are found there. I know that Mt. Diablo is incredible for anting, having veromessor, camponotus, and much more, but that's over an hour away from where I live. If anyone knows other places to look, please share! Thanks!

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted January 2 2018 - 6:41 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

It's the winter. You probably will not find anything until next spring.

Edited by Martialis, January 2 2018 - 6:41 PM.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Derpy - Posted January 2 2018 - 9:33 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA

We went there to try to find small camponotus colonies hibernating so we could have found some stuff.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users