• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2 different Cali ant species coexist together?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 14 2017 - 1:13 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
I was wondering if any 2 or more different Californian ant species can peacefully coexist with each other? Can maybe v. pergandei and harvester ants coexist together? Or maybe a Camponotus? I thought it would be neat if they could share the same outworld/foraging areas. Thanks in advance.

#2 Offline Jelly - Posted April 14 2017 - 1:29 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I was wondering if any 2 or more different Californian ant species can peacefully coexist with each other? Can maybe v. pergandei and harvester ants coexist together? Or maybe a Camponotus? I thought it would be neat if they could share the same outworld/foraging areas. Thanks in advance.

You'd run into problems even with 2 colonies of the same species attacking each other. I have no idea how you'd do it with difference species. Anyways, good luck i look forward to reading your results.

#3 Offline Spamdy - Posted April 14 2017 - 1:32 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I wouldn't take the risk but you can search it up if those ants are polygynyic or not

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#4 Offline Californian Anter - Posted April 14 2017 - 3:15 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I wouldn't take the risk but you can search it up if those ants are polygynyic or not

That won't affect it at all, because he is planning to use ants from different genera. 

Soysauce, it is very likely there would be fighting and one of the colonies will be wiped out. 

Edited by Californian Anter, April 14 2017 - 3:55 PM.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#5 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 14 2017 - 3:15 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Yeah I wouldn't risk it unless I was positively sure they could coexist in peace together. I was thinking the fuzzy tree ants could live peacefully w a Camponotus. When I was collecting them, the fuzzies seem to be doing their own thing while ignoring all the other ants that were around.

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 14 2017 - 3:29 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Time to start learning proper terminology and spelling, oh wait I think some else said that recently.

• dermy, LC3, VoidElecent and 1 other like this

#7 Offline dermy - Posted April 14 2017 - 4:07 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I think the correct term you are looking for is polygynous. But like stated above, two different genera of ants will not share an foraging area, they will just fight and war. Even two of the same species [regardless of if they are polygynous or not] would probably still fight, due to different colony scents.

#8 Offline thosaka - Posted April 14 2017 - 9:44 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I'll post a picture when I get to a computer. I saw an all black ant species running past an all light purple red ant species without attacking each other on multiple occasions.

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 15 2017 - 6:00 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I'll post a picture when I get to a computer. I saw an all black ant species running past an all light purple red ant species without attacking each other on multiple occasions.

Ants are like people. They will avoid a war on all causes. (There are some exceptions) so when two different colony foragers bump into each other, they won't go and kill each other

Most of these species are aggressive and have a large territory. I would say no to this idea.
  • Martialis likes this

YJK

#10 Offline anttics - Posted December 12 2017 - 10:49 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
It can work. I seen a video from ants Canada. were he has wild Pharaoh ants, crazy black ants and carabera diversa in one terrarium. they do not invade each other and the strongest colony get a the good stuff and the week the left overs. It was interesting. they kick each other out of the food. once the enemy colony is away from the food. they do not touch each other.
  • Antapoloosa likes this

#11 Offline anttics - Posted December 12 2017 - 10:50 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
if they have resources to spare colonies will coexist if not they will kill each other

#12 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted December 12 2017 - 5:40 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
In an enclosed space two different species is simply asking for disaster. Even a terrarium 55 gal. big is barely enough. The only exceptions I believe would be Strumigenys or other cryptuc ants. They are small, feign death, and eat springtails and have small colonies.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#13 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 11:57 AM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

It can work. I seen a video from ants Canada. were he has wild Pharaoh ants, crazy black ants and carabera diversa in one terrarium. they do not invade each other and the strongest colony get a the good stuff and the week the left overs. It was interesting. they kick each other out of the food. once the enemy colony is away from the food. they do not touch each other.

I saw that too but it is the exception and not the rule. Ants will generally fight and war if they are forced to share the same foraging space.

#14 Offline anttics - Posted December 13 2017 - 2:38 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I would not like to experiment so this might be a mistery. some one brave should put a week colony you do not want. with a strong one. and see what happens. I'm too nice to sacrifice ants like that. lol. if I do not want to keep ants I would dump them to their natural everoment.

#15 Offline Martialis - Posted December 13 2017 - 3:48 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Can maybe v. pergandei and harvester ants coexist together? Or maybe a Camponotus? 

Veromessor + Pogonomyrmex = two dead colonies

Pogonomyrmex + Novomessor = two dead colonies

Veromessor + Novomessor = two dead colonies

Veromessor, Pogonomyrmex, or Novomessor + Camponotus = two dead colonies

The point is, two aggressive species like those mentioned by you won't coexist.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users