• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can a trucker keep ants?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Hunter - Posted December 13 2017 - 6:18 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

I'm not sure where he was going with that

#22 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 6:24 AM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Who?

#23 Offline Hunter - Posted December 13 2017 - 6:25 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Who?

sarafine he put it in the form like he was gana give a problem but just said every thing works

#24 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 8:46 AM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Who?
sarafine he put it in the form like he was gana give a problem but just said every thing works

Oh okay well I still have to think about what I'll do if there's a mold outbreak while I'm on the road. And what to do about escapes.

#25 Offline Hunter - Posted December 13 2017 - 8:51 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

for escapies just use a solid top or cover

#26 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:00 PM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Sounds like a good plan, I could do a baby powder and alcohol barrier as a deterrent too but not sure how long it lasts.

#27 Offline Hunter - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Sounds like a good plan, I could do a baby powder and alcohol barrier as a deterrent too but not sure how long it lasts.

days maybe weeks in my experience

#28 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:18 PM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Okay cool that's legit. Oh yeah so my experiment with the solenopsis workers seems to be a failure. All dead except the 2 majors. Dunno if the beetle I fed them I was poisoned or if the plastic bottle I found outside has something nasty in it..or if all the vibration killed them.

#29 Offline Hunter - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Okay cool that's legit. Oh yeah so my experiment with the solenopsis workers seems to be a failure. All dead except the 2 majors. Dunno if the beetle I fed them I was poisoned or if the plastic bottle I found outside has something nasty in it..or if all the vibration killed them.

did the have moister and water, and what type of beetle

#30 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:43 PM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Um oops I was gonna soak a cotton ball in some water and put it in there I totally forgot wow...the beetle I got from under the rock where I found the nest, there was a small black beetle which they did eat. Which is surprising because I only caught 6 minors and 2 majors. Also I did burp the bottle every few hours so they've had fresh air.

#31 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:45 PM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
I guess ants can't live a few hours without water? I only captured them last night.

#32 Offline Hunter - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:47 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

I guess ants can't live a few hours without water? I only captured them last night.

they dry up fast, i had a lasius queen that died after 3 hours with no water

#33 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:50 PM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Wow okay, I should have known that as much as I've been reading about ants in the last few weeks. They seemed fine all day until just recently.

#34 Offline Hunter - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Wow okay, I should have known that as much as I've been reading about ants in the last few weeks. They seemed fine all day until just recently.

lol

#35 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 13 2017 - 12:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Ants are living animals. It would be cruel to confine any living thing if you are knowingly unable to provide the care it needs to grow and thrive. If you are only at home every two to four weeks, I'd advise you to consider keeping a plant that doesn't require much maintenance, such as a cactus.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 13 2017 - 11:14 PM.

• KBant likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#36 Offline Hunter - Posted December 13 2017 - 1:04 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

you could even try easy

Zootermopsis sp.

#37 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 1:10 PM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Ants are living animals. It would be cruel to confine any living thing if you are unable to provide the care it needs. If you are only at home every two to four weeks, I'd advise you to look into some low maintenance cacti species.

If that wasn't obvious I would have already bought a queen ant with workers and brood and had a colony by now. Someone suggested pogonomyrmex barbius, giving them a stockpile of seeds and a pile of test tubes full of water and honey water, and then give them beef jerky and dry fish food for protein. Could give them a few bugs when I'm home too.

Edited by Antapoloosa, December 13 2017 - 1:11 PM.

#38 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 1:15 PM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

you could even try easy Zootermopsis sp.

I think he was telling me to buy a cactus lol

#39 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 13 2017 - 1:16 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
No ant can be cared for without monitoring for problems at least every few days. For a hobbyist with no experience successfully keeping ants, such attempts will be guaranteed to end in failure very swiftly.

Do what you like, however. 99% of ants kept in captivity die within the first year anyways.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#40 Offline Antapoloosa - Posted December 13 2017 - 1:31 PM

Antapoloosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

No ant can be cared for without monitoring for problems at least every few days. For a hobbyist with no experience successfully keeping ants, such attempts will be guaranteed to end in failure very swiftly.

Do what you like, however. 99% of ants kept in captivity die within the first year anyways.

I don't know about 99% but I'm sure that new ant keepers have a hard time getting started. Anyway I had thought about that too but it's not as if they would they be completely isolated with nobody to check on them from time to time. I do have a female companion who does stay home and takes care of our household. The issue with that is she would not be willing to do much with my ant colony unless she had to or there was something wrong, so I am trying to come up with ways to keep her involvement with my ant colony down to a bare minimum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users