• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to release your colonies?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 8 2018 - 6:39 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
I have too many queens and colonies. How, where, when do I release these into the wild such that they're given a fighting chance instead of a death sentence? My biggest fear is that I place them in the territory of a much larger colony and basically turn my pet colony into a snack for a massive wild colony.
  • Reacker likes this
~Dan

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted February 8 2018 - 7:06 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Omg! This is gonna turn into the next dramatized, thread. Let me save you some upcoming trouble and give you a brief explanation on this before others tell you in a more dramatic version. It's frowned upon by the scientific part of this community to release them back into the wild. Freeze them or give them to someone else in your state. Bottom line. Something tells me you missed the thread here about antscanada releasing his ants back into the wild. ;)

Edited by T.C., February 8 2018 - 7:06 PM.

• nurbs, dermy, noebl1 and 1 other like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted February 8 2018 - 7:21 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

What species are they? If they aren't abundant/invasive but are from your local area, I'd say go ahead.

• Reacker and nurbs like this

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted February 8 2018 - 7:31 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

What species are they? If they aren't abundant/invasive but are from your local area, I'd say go ahead.

Well, just go read that thread. It has all the points and possible reasons you shouldn't release ants. Just don't wanna see the drama get all stirred up again.., ya know? ;)
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 9 2018 - 6:36 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

So this is taboo even if I caught the queen in my yard and release it in my yard?

Where's the "AntsCanda" thread that was mentioned?  Anyone have the link?

I have a variety of different species, none of which are uncommon or invasive.  Just common, local ants.

Edited by Works4TheGood, February 9 2018 - 6:57 AM.

~Dan

#6 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 9 2018 - 9:01 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

1. Affix a Hot Air Balloon to the formicarium
2. ?????

3. Profit

• Works4TheGood and Studio like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 9 2018 - 9:19 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Preheat your oven to 350 F.  Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp and motionless.  Serve with a side of horseradish.

• Reacker, Works4TheGood and sgheaton like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 9 2018 - 10:17 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Hummus works well in a pinch! 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users