• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question on ideal temperature

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted January 29 2018 - 2:16 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I've heard that you aren't supposed to keep ants in an air conditioned room, and I've also heard that the ideal temperature for ants is 72-80 degrees.

But my house is air conditioned, and I don't know about you other people but my house stays  at around 74 degrees.

So, does this apply to me? Keep in mind that I just intend on keeping my ants indoors from right now till summer. Just so that I can get them out of hibernation. In the dead of summer they will be moved back into my garage

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted January 29 2018 - 4:12 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Keep winter ants (Prenolepis imparis). Cool rooms are perfect for them.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted January 29 2018 - 5:05 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Keep winter ants (Prenolepis imparis). Cool rooms are perfect for them.

I'm planning on catching some as soon as they fly!

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 5 2018 - 10:05 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
It shouldn't matter too much. 74 will be alright for most species, except for desert ones. Personally, I would heat them up, to 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit, especially for camponotus. Other species might not need such heat, and will be fine at 74, such as lasius, and Prenolepis.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#5 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 8 2018 - 6:26 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
Unless you're keeping winter ants, your colony will not thrive at ordinary room temperature. Although different species have different temperature preferences, I generally try to let my colony have portions of their nest at 28C. With this target, I have colonies that are just way too large. Good luck to you!
~Dan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users