• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colorado, United States queens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bugdaddy - Posted November 2 2017 - 4:00 PM

Bugdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationColorado, United States
Hey, guys! I'm currently looking for my first queen in Colorado, United States. Wondering if anyone has any queens currently hibernating.

I'm looking for either Tetramorium or Pogonomyrmex genuses, as these two are (Seemingly) the most beginner-tolerant genuses in Colorado.

"And it was to my infinite despair and pain... That it was not the hornets that made honey."

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 3 2017 - 4:42 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Months late to the party bud. Like I'll be putting my Tetramoriums into hibernation this week. Could have given you 10 about two month ago.

Not knowing what others currently have, I've still got something like 12 Lasius.... .....something. I forgot and wrote a journal (somewhat) about it. 

During the season, you can pretty much go to any field and find both of those species. Its unbelievably easy to obtain those two here. You'll get em! Just prepare all your formicarium'n'gear now for the season next year!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline Bugdaddy - Posted November 3 2017 - 10:30 AM

Bugdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationColorado, United States

Months late to the party bud. Like I'll be putting my Tetramoriums into hibernation this week. Could have given you 10 about two month ago.

Not knowing what others currently have, I've still got something like 12 Lasius.... .....something. I forgot and wrote a journal (somewhat) about it.

During the season, you can pretty much go to any field and find both of those species. Its unbelievably easy to obtain those two here. You'll get em! Just prepare all your formicarium'n'gear now for the season next year!

Thanks! I'll go check the nuptial flights for these two.

"And it was to my infinite despair and pain... That it was not the hornets that made honey."

#4 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 3 2017 - 10:36 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

The more important question is where are you located?

Zero and myself are fairly close to one another (Broomfield/Denver area). I believe the other Coloradians are on the West Face of the mountains?? Primarily in the Grand Junction area??? They've found TONS this year. 

I literally, honestly, seriously, just walk outside onto my porch and find my queens there. I've been driving and a Tetra-queen had landed on my windshield. I find them all time at work. IF YOU ARE SOMEHOW UNABLE TO LOCATE ONE (next year), I'll totally find one for you. I really think things are winding down for those two species.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted November 3 2017 - 8:13 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

The guy has queens for sale in CO. http://www.formicult...-kujawaorchids/

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users