• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica Nesting Medium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 31 2017 - 5:54 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
I currently have a small 5 worker colony of Formica subsericea. Their test tube is getting a little moldy, so I'm planning on moving them into a small container with some digging medium on the bottom. My question is, what sort of digging medium should I use? In the past, I've seen wild colonies nesting in sand, but many websites say that they nest in soil at the base of trees. What should I use? Thanks in advance!

#2 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 31 2017 - 6:44 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Ant type is fine but I'd lean towards sand since it rarely molds and can be sometimes reused. However, soil can be better since it will easily spot mites and eggs and larvae.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted November 1 2017 - 6:33 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I personally would go with dirt. Dark dirt is best, but not store bought potting soil.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users