• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do Lemon/Lime Flavored Things Hurt Ants?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted October 30 2017 - 3:16 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
All my colonies love Oreos just the plain Oreo. I recently bought some Oreos that are Lemon/Lime Flavored and I absolutely hate them (the official name is KeyLime Pie Oreo). Since I don't want them I was wondering if I could feed them to my ants. I already know that my ants like plain Oreo filling, but I am worried that the Lemon and Lime flavoring used in the Oreos might hurt them. I have heard of natural ant poisons that have Lemon juice in them, will Lemon Flavored things have the same effect?

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 30 2017 - 4:32 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Nope. My C. chromaiodes colony LOVES lemon/lime flavored gatorade, and my Tetramorium sp.e colony once got a tiny bit of frozen lemonade as a summer treat. 

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted October 30 2017 - 4:34 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nope. My C. chromaiodes colony LOVES lemon/lime flavored gatorade, and my Tetramorium sp.e colony once got a tiny bit of frozen lemonade as a summer treat.

Ok thanks! Time for my ants to feast!

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 30 2017 - 4:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Citrus oils are highly repellent to all ants. Flavored sugary confections may not have the same repelling effect.

You shouldn't be feeding your ants human food. Insects and sugar water work best for ants kept in captivity.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 18 2017 - 3:45 PM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Hunter - Posted October 30 2017 - 5:15 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

i have given my nova lemon pulp and they ate it

#6 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 30 2017 - 5:17 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Well, that is real fruit, a little different.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#7 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 30 2017 - 5:47 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Citrus repels ants. Flavored sugary confections may not have the same repelling effect.

You shouldn't be feeding your ants human food. Insects and sugar water work best for ants kept in captivity.

Well, that is real fruit, a little different.

Huh. That makes sense. The only ants that I've ever gotten to eat pure citrus were my old P. gracilis and O. glaber colonies.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#8 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted October 30 2017 - 8:22 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
My guess is that lemon and lime flavored things are artificially synthesized in a plant, so who knows what's in that! Probably sugar, but maybe preservatives too? Either way, why not just use sugar water? I believe that DRTMiller once said that sucrose (sugarcane) is preferable to ants over fructose (fruit sugar), so giving them regular sugar water seems to be optimal. I have a colony that pretty much only gets mealworms and sugar water, and the colony is enormous! I'm not suggesting you do the same, but it helps to show the effect of giving them some simple bare essentials.
~Dan

#9 Offline anttics - Posted December 18 2017 - 3:30 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I give my ants natural honey mix with water they love it. but I notice they get slow and lazy after drinking. also one ant got stuck in the honey. saved it's life. I notice ants will bite it and carry her inside the nest. next morning i found a dead ant torn apart. make sure you wash any ants that get the sugar water on their body.
I give my ants natural honey mix with water they love it. but I notice they get slow and lazy after drinking. also one ant got stuck in the honey. saved it's life. I notice ants will bite it and carry her inside the nest. next morning i found a dead ant torn apart. make sure you wash any ants that get the sugar water on their body.

#10 Offline Hunter - Posted December 18 2017 - 3:34 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

I know camponotus like leamons

Edited by Hunter, December 18 2017 - 3:34 PM.

#11 Offline sgheaton - Posted December 19 2017 - 5:53 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I recently bought some Oreos that are Lemon/Lime Flavored

....Why.....?

• Martialis likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#12 Offline Serafine - Posted December 19 2017 - 8:47 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • LocationGermany

Varrying your ants' diet is more important than trying to find the single one perfect food item (which there isn't anyway). Like people ants can suffer from malnutrition if they only ever eat the same thing.

Just try around, your ants will show you if they like stuff or not. My Camponotus for example love minced meat and cat food (pure meat, without any plant crap like cassia gum) as addition to their regular diet (of mostly bee brood) but completely ignore ANY sort of fruit.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#13 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 19 2017 - 9:38 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

By the way, I think that my Camponotus chromaiodes drank the gatorade because they were thirsty. I tried to give them some again before hibernation, and they didn't even want to touch it.

My Tetramorium still loves Lemonade, though.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes