• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Trachymyrmex septentrionalis Journal (Updated 2/22/22)

trachymyrmex attini attine fungus

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Aaron567 - Posted August 1 2020 - 9:25 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

August 1, 2020

As the first worker eclosed, the fungus decided to have another little growth spurt. Looking nice and fuzzy. The second worker is also very close to hatching.

EJSwdlW.jpg

25KRus4.jpg

PukAOY7.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, CatsnAnts, DDD101DDD and 3 others like this

#42 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 1 2020 - 9:30 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

That's really cool how the second worker is sort of "one with the fungus" lol. Beautiful colony and garden so far.

• Aaron567, TennesseeAnts and MinigunL5 like this

Spoiler

#43 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 22 2020 - 2:16 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Update?

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#44 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 23 2020 - 6:51 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

September 23, 2020

The fungus has grown a lot since the last update nearly 2 months ago, but honestly it probably would've grown a lot more by now if I hadn't been neglecting them so much. A lot of this growth is pretty recent, due to the caterpillar frass I gave them a couple of times. They won't accept frass from a caterpillar that has eaten a toxic plant, such as Monarch caterpillars (milkweed) or Gulf Fritillary caterpillars (passionvine), but the frass produced by caterpillars of the moth family Saturniidae tend to be from non-toxic plants, so that it some of the best frass you can use. I've been rearing oakworm moth caterpillars (Anisota pellucida), which feed on oak, so that has been an easy source of frass for my Trachymyrmex, and they love it. I'm not sure how long they'll take it before they get bored of it like every other food given to them. It seems best to just rotate between insect frass, rose petals, and oats.

By the way, only two queens are alive now. It looked like the other two were bullied and kicked out of the colony. I won't be surprised if they do the same thing to one of the last remaining queens, as they seem to have a clear desire for monogyny in this case. There are something like 7-9 workers, and the first worker death happened yesterday.

nBGoPYk.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, September 23 2020 - 6:54 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#45 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 23 2020 - 8:09 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I love this journal i hope they all live because i will definitely follow this.

• Aaron567 likes this
We don’t talk about that

#46 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 23 2020 - 8:13 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

I wonder if you actually can make polygonus colonies of Trachymyrmex. 

• Devi and Spangoid like this
My Ants:

#47 Offline Devi - Posted September 23 2020 - 8:30 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

That would indeed be AWESOME.

• TechAnt likes this

#48 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 23 2020 - 8:38 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I'm pretty sure polygynous colonies do exist. From what I've heard, some populations of T. septentrionalis will found colonies cooperatively with an astounding number of queens. Where I live, I've never seen more than one queen digging a founding chamber, so perhaps it is population-specific and the ones around me tend to lean towards the monogynous side.

• TechAnt likes this

#49 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 23 2020 - 8:43 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

I'm pretty sure polygynous colonies do exist. From what I've heard, some populations of T. septentrionalis will found colonies cooperatively with an astounding number of queens. Where I live, I've never seen more than one queen digging a founding chamber, so perhaps it is population-specific and the ones around me tend to lean towards the monogynous side.

You learn something new everyday.

My Ants:

#50 Offline Aaron567 - Posted November 1 2020 - 10:38 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

November 1, 2020

I don't feed this colony much but they're doing fine. For a few weeks I was giving them caterpillar frass from Anisota pellucida oakworm caterpillars which fed on oak leaves. I store the caterpillar frass in a small vial in the freezer and that seems to have kept it in suitable condition. The frass is definitely my colony's favorite food out of everything I have tried; they accepted it for weeks without ever refusing it.

The first picture is from October 28 when they had been on a heavy caterpillar frass diet, and the second picture is 3 days later, following a feeding of oats. Feeding oats makes their fungus very white and fluffy. It's really interesting to watch the fungus transform after giving them oats because at first it just looks like they've scattered the fungus with dry crumbs, but after a couple days the crumbs are overtaken by the fungus. 

Also, there is only one queen left now, unsurprisingly. The second-to-last queen had all of her legs pulled off and she was thrown in the trash pile where it took her a couple of days to die. There are around 20 workers.

October 28

n6Yi0T1.jpg

6LHEd1Z.jpg

October 31

cekJAOT.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, November 1 2020 - 10:39 AM.

• Karma, CheetoLord02, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

#51 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 1 2020 - 3:10 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I have a 2 queen T. septentrionalis colony.

Edited by CheetoLord02, November 1 2020 - 3:11 PM.

• DDD101DDD and TechAnt like this

#52 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 1 2020 - 3:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I need to find these in Virginia next year. That is my 2021 white whale.
  • TechAnt likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#53 Offline Aaron567 - Posted November 20 2020 - 2:55 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

November 20, 2020

Some impressive fungus growth lately; still just been giving them oats and caterpillar frass. Around 15-20 workers still, and they're starting to get really feisty when I open their container to feed or water them... will need an outworld soon.

I wonder when this colony will go into diapause. Local T. septentrionalis around me remain very active at this point, but I'm thinking they'll be shutting down for the winter in another 2-4 weeks. I haven't came up with a plan on what I'll do to give them adequate diapause temperatures because I'm not sure what temperature the fungus can withstand without dying. I guess I could put them in the wine cooler with my Camponotus at 60 degrees F and just hope that's a good temperature for them. 

JA7PkWu.jpg

xBxIef7.jpg

• mmcguffi, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 5 others like this

#54 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 22 2020 - 3:03 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Well, I wish you luck.

• Aaron567 likes this

#55 Offline Aaron567 - Posted January 9 2021 - 4:12 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

January 9, 2021

I put this colony in diapause around Christmas, at 60 degrees F in a wine cooler. Now, the fungus is something like 35-45% of its initial size and there are 22-25 workers. They would not enter diapause until I put them in the wine cooler, though. Right after, they began deconstructing the fungus and piling the abandoned pieces into the corners of their container (I still have not attached an outworld to their setup). They have not done much deconstructing since those first few days of being in the cooler, and I'm surprised that they didn't make the fungus even smaller than this. It probably differs with the latitude of the populations of this specieswith the northernmost populations reducing their fungus to almost nothing during winter and the southern populations leaving a decent amount. I have not given them anything since they've entered diapause and I'm not really sure if they're supposed to have anything since the fungus is asleep. I plan to take them out in late February as the wild colonies start to become hyperactive for spring.

S2lZ2vs.jpg

KFMqQuh.jpg

JNAc1l9.jpg

R3Gp1wZ.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, January 9 2021 - 4:13 PM.

• mmcguffi, Karma, CheetoLord02 and 1 other like this

#56 Offline Aaron567 - Posted August 5 2021 - 12:49 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

The previous colony died while in diapause because I didn't water their setup

August 5, 2021

On July 15 I found a few T. septentrionalis queens excavating their founding chambers most likely a couple days after they'd had their nuptial flights; I ended up keeping only three and one died. I didn't really have setups ready for them. I knew they most likely weren't going to have their buccal pellets anymore (they would've already regurgitated in their founding chambers in the days prior), so I needed to dig up some donor fungus from wild colonies. I put both queens in one setup and allowed them to sit around without any fungus for 3 weeks before I finally went out and dug up some. Like last year, I didn't want to spoil them with fungus because I like watching it grow from something tiny.

Only one queen is in this picture because the other one has been keeping her distance lately. Since giving them fungus they're no longer best friends, but it's not surprising since I know the population of this species around me isn't polygynous, unlike some other populations.

kT7Y5of.jpg

uxhjSMV.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

#57 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 4 2021 - 12:15 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

September 4, 2021

Both queens are actually still friendly with each other and the fungus is looking good. I've been mainly giving them rose petals and oats. Yesterday I noticed a late-stage larva in the fungus, but I can't see any in this photo from today. The brood hides extremely well, usually covered in hyphae and scattered throughout the fungus.

H6ZZfWi.jpg

• CheetoLord02, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#58 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 20 2021 - 2:37 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

POPULAR

September 20, 2021

The first two workers have hatched. I actually never realized there were any pupae, so it was a bit of a surprise when I checked on them to see two workers.

7PouaoZ.jpg

insQ3RN.jpg

YhRYWac.jpg

RdUmj46.jpg

Z7hknJW.jpg

mlEQtG5.jpg

• mmcguffi, Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and 7 others like this

#59 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 18 2021 - 10:04 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

December 18, 2021

Occasional feedings of rose petals and oats has been enough for this hardy colony to stay growing. They have grown to around 30 workers and the fungus garden is 3 centimeters in diameter. Both queens are still alive and well. I should probably go ahead and induce diapause soon.

t0wcOmX.jpg

6N4mlf9.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, December 18 2021 - 10:34 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#60 Offline ryanp347 - Posted December 18 2021 - 4:38 PM

ryanp347

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley, California

Crazy how white the fungus stays! Awesome journal

• Aaron567 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trachymyrmex, attini, attine, fungus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users