• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Has anyone tried using red bricks as an ant farm?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 7 2015 - 9:03 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

From what I can tell, red bricks look very similar to Ytong. Full of holes, and can soak up water really well. I never hear of mold issues with bricks either, and they are used all the time in building.

I was planning to use red bricks, but all my bricks disappeared after moving...always lose stuff when moving cause rushing so much to get moved. Even if you plan ahead, once the time comes to move, it comes incredibly fast. Probably ended up in the dumpster area since we had so much stuff.

Anyway...as anyone attempted using them? It is definitely cheaper than Ytong, and vastly easier to get than Ytong. Plus, you get the added bonus that (most) ants can't see red. Plus ants shouldn't be able to chew through it.

Only downside is it may be hard to carve...since it feels and looks exactly like Ytong. So, bricks are obviously hard (like Ytong is). But, Ytong is carveable so I don't see why using bricks would be any harder.

Like I said, seems far more upsides to using bricks than Ytong. Especially since they are cheaper and so much easier to find. I guess the biggest thing is bricks are...well...bricks...you'd have to connect them to make a bigger design. That isn't that big of an issue though. But, I've never seen mold growing on bricks even in wet/cold climates.

Edited by Vendayn, January 7 2015 - 9:08 PM.

#2 Offline Miles - Posted January 7 2015 - 9:09 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Well, I think that whether or not the ants can see the brick's color to us is pretty irrelevant.

The red bricks I have had experience with haven't seemed to soak up much water. I'm not sure how hard they would be to carve. Otherwise, I think you ought to try it and let us know how it goes for you.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 7 2015 - 9:11 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Ah, well when I poured water on the bricks I had it seemed to soak up fine. The bricks got soaked in pretty quick. Granted, all I did was pour water on it as I was too busy moving for anything extensive.

Maybe when I get some extra money, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll buy bricks again and let you guys know how it works out. Income is pretty tight right now though.

#4 Offline LAnt - Posted January 7 2015 - 9:28 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Arent bricks like 50 cents. And yes i noticed bricks soaked up water too.

Edited by LAnt, January 7 2015 - 9:31 PM.

• LAnt likes this

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 7 2015 - 9:46 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Don't remember what I paid. But, it was definitely really cheap.

According to...

http://www.google.co...CFUdefgodCj0APg

That is only 39 cents for one brick. I got one similar to that, but it was more bright red.

#6 Offline LAnt - Posted January 7 2015 - 9:48 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Okay from your post i thought you meant you didn't have enough money for the bricks

#7 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 7 2015 - 10:20 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I don't really. I only have less than 100 in the bank, all the rest went to rent/bills. And I'd rather not spend anything. Water/electricity is especially really expensive in California.

I don't get that much money every month, so I still live with parents. I'm on disability, but I couldn't rent the cheapest apartment (on top of bills) in California on my income.

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 7 2015 - 11:03 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you are referring to the red bricks usually used in construction, BEWARE! I am pretty sure they contain a cancer causing carcinogen, which I am sure is not healthy to ants either.

But concrete and stuff like that is okay.

#9 Offline benjiwuf - Posted January 7 2015 - 11:08 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

all depends on what kind of red brick that actually is. there are red dairy bricks for dairy floors in factories and such. then there's firebricks (name should tell enough of what it's use was for), and then there's actual red bricks used in house construction (just to name the ones that come to mind). all of which i'm sure would have different absorption or formicaria usefulness ratings between them all. either way i believe any brick, block, or other porous rock material would work with little adaptation from the creator. however i could be wrong as i've never dabbled with these materials before. i do know that crystals has a tutorial about using firebrick as a formicarium however, and i'm fairly sure she could add more insight to this.

Edited by benjiwuf, January 7 2015 - 11:40 PM.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 8 2015 - 12:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Red bricks are going to be very hard, making them difficult to carve unless you have some power tools. I'm pretty sure they will absorb water, but like cement, which is also very hard, will probably do so very slowly.

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 8 2015 - 12:30 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Bricks are not going to absorb water more than maybe 0.5 mm or so, which is why they're used in exterior walls.  

If they absorbed water easily, then they would crack in winter time, as the water inside them freezes and expands.  

In this respect, I would say they are less absorbent than concrete.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 8 2015 - 12:39 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#12 Offline Crystals - Posted January 8 2015 - 7:17 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Depends on the brick and exactly what it is made of.  The bricks made from pure cement don't seem to be successful past the 6-8 month mark, ants seem to sicken for some reason.

Red bricks made from firebrick or compacted sand with bonders seem to work ok.  Never any issue with the 2 I tested out.

You might look into firebrick as a ytong replacement.  Dspdrew and I both use them with great success (other than his Pogonomyrmex chewing through one block  :D ).  Firebricks are sometimes called refractory bricks, and are made from fired clay.  There are several types out there and all seem to work great.  Pottery shops almost always carry them, they are used to build kilns.

http://www.formicult...icture +journey

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users