• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formicarium idea

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chomp231 - Posted October 2 2017 - 5:13 AM

Chomp231

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
If a hole is only big enough for workers to go through (mabey elates too) but not a queen, at the end of a running tube to outside, would this be a ok idea or no? Like let them do a little outside in one of my formicariums just as a experament and it might let them do garbage disposal better to the wild?

#2 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted October 2 2017 - 5:35 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

If a hole is only big enough for workers to go through (mabey elates too) but not a queen, at the end of a running tube to outside, would this be a ok idea or no? Like let them do a little outside in one of my formicariums just as a experament and it might let them do garbage disposal better to the wild?

I'm pretty sure it's generally frowned upon allowing captive animals out into the wild even if it's just to forage for food. 

• Batspiderfish and Nathant2131 like this

Check out my Youtube

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 2 2017 - 6:26 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Plus this is going to allow mites and wild colonies access to your nest.

• Evanthomas89 and FeedTheAnts like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline Chomp231 - Posted October 2 2017 - 6:38 AM

Chomp231

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The mite thing i was considering a risk and I'm wondering if anyone has tested these mites for weaknesses, as in repelling smells plants ect? but for the enemy colonies if its only one hole and one tube then itd be a bottle neck only allowing one worker in at a time to mabey a thousand ants and i personally don't mind those odds bc the hole would be big enough for say my formica but not a camponarus to squeeze through even or lesser size against more enemies then you can get through at once, and on the captive ants statement i captured them from the yard i live in so wouldn't it not effect the outside enviornment?

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 2 2017 - 8:01 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I considered this idea as well. It would not work, because of the fact that most ants, given access to a better wild environment, would move. Nomadic ants like Tapinoma sessile can squeeze through any crack large enough to fit a thorax (Tapinoma sessile queens have surprisingly flexible gasters). I know that you are asking this because of your "breeding" project. It is better to just ant-proof a room and give the ants free reign in it.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#6 Offline Chomp231 - Posted October 2 2017 - 1:16 PM

Chomp231

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ohhh that want my breeding experament i was trying to see if theyd make a interior ecosystem and a bunch of other stuff if it worked i was gonna see if theyd do basic terraforming and other stuff more like a eniornment studdy if the queen would be able to be trapped and not her workers, would this work with formica or carpenter ants at all?

#7 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 2 2017 - 1:59 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

If you want to study terraforming, why not get a bin of soil and put a colony in it?

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#8 Offline Chomp231 - Posted October 3 2017 - 6:29 AM

Chomp231

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
id need the colony to not just move out when they are in and ima give them the opertunity to chose what grows in their enviornment from a mostly sterile enviornment (sand and wormcastings no seeds). Would a queen Camponotus, or formica be able to squeeze through a worker sized hole? And does anyone know the name of the red mites scientific or not? (i am not concerned with the white mites)

Edited by Chomp231, October 3 2017 - 6:32 AM.

#9 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 3 2017 - 10:39 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Most red ant mites are parasitic and can become a serious problem

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider