• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hydration and Sponge Type

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline tinman - Posted October 1 2017 - 11:05 PM

tinman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOswego, IL

Hey everyone! I'm a long time lurker on the forum, first time poster.  I also have caught my first queens a few weeks ago, I'm in northern Illinois.

I'm making a (VERY) tiny pumice nest, smaller than half the palm of your hand. It's the smallest little nest I've ever seen. I really enjoy building things, so making this has been fun. I even made it multi-leveled (but both chambers on the same side of the stone) and with 2 different size chambers, so the queen can pick which one she likes.  It also has a small water reservoir about the size of your pinky nail which creates a moisture gradient, a port on the side that fits vinyl tubing leading to the deepest chamber, and a grove on the bottom of the stone so you can rest it on a heating cable while still sitting flat. Then I sealed everything up with non-toxic silicone and used the hard plastic casing from its own packaging (thus, very form-fitting) as a see-through lid. It was a lot to design in something that is less than an inch wide and an inch tall and cost $3. But, I have a question about the sponges used in formicariums. 

What kind of sponges do you use? Dish sponges? Are there aquarium sponges? What kind of non-toxic sponges are out there? I assume you don't just use a dish sponge... or do you?

And yes, I know about test tubes.  Many of my queens are in simple test tube setups, but this is WAY more fun!

Edited by tinman, October 1 2017 - 11:09 PM.

#2 Offline Seadogrun - Posted October 2 2017 - 3:51 PM

Seadogrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I'm curious too.

#3 Offline KBant - Posted October 2 2017 - 4:46 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip