• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sugar for Aphaenogaster

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Senbonzakura - Posted October 1 2017 - 1:07 AM

Senbonzakura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

So my Aphaenogaster queen just had her first worker and I have read that these ants have no social stomach and won't take liquid food sources. I ended up putting a piece of chocolate in for food. What is the usual way to give these ants sugar? Do I leave substrate in there so they can soak up honey with it?

• ColKurtz likes this

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 1 2017 - 4:54 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

They have social stomachs, but really small ones. They like to bring their sugar sources back on bits of debris. Chocolate is not a particularly good sugar source for ants -- they should be receiving sugar dissolved in water.

Edited by Batspiderfish, October 1 2017 - 4:56 AM.

• drtrmiller likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 1 2017 - 8:17 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
My personal observation is Aphaenogaster species feed on Sunburst held in byFormica liquid feeders similarly to other ants, but will attempt to place particulates on the orifices where the liquid is exposed.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline ColKurtz - Posted October 1 2017 - 11:40 AM

ColKurtz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey/Massachuetts
Great and timely topic as I have an aphaenogaster with some larval offspring. When workers arrive, if you are starting from a test tube setup, would you recommend placing the tube in an outworld or creating a small outworld foraging area and placing therein some sort of debris, like bits of leaves, for them to use for transporting liquids?

#5 Offline Flame.Hyped - Posted October 1 2017 - 11:56 AM

Flame.Hyped

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
In a test tube they use the cotton to soak up liquids, mine do at least. I've also heard offering them dirt or sponge works.

#6 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 2 2017 - 8:25 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

After testing several sugary liquids (sugar water, honey, honey water, watermelon juice, syrup, etc), I learned that plain honey is the best for this species. Give them tiny drops (with a toothpick) inside of their tube.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes