• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sugar question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline matt123 - Posted September 26 2017 - 2:50 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

Would the ants appreciate starch? Or is it only simple ssugars they are after.

I have some stale gnocchi which is pretty much just a ball of starch, wondering if instead of throwing it all out I could at least use some of it for the ants?

#2 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted September 26 2017 - 2:56 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
I guess they'll eat it considering I have no idea what gnocchi is.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 26 2017 - 3:05 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Adult ants cannot eat solid, starchy foods like chips, crackers, and pasta, because they possess a filter that only allows very small particles to be ingested, limiting them to consuming mostly liquids. While adult ants can break down solids into small enough particles for their larvae to consume, the best way to determine receptivity to a particular foodstuff is to try it.

In addition to nutrient content, there are other factors may influence how well foods are received, including, but not limited to: contained moisture, ambient temperature, time of year, species preferences, and number of hungry larvae in the nest.

Most ants thrive on a diet of insects and sugary liquids, such as Sunburst Ant Nectar.
  • Evanthomas89 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted September 26 2017 - 6:33 PM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

Adult ants cannot eat solid, starchy foods like chips, crackers, and pasta, because they possess a filter that only allows very small particles to be ingested, limiting them to consuming mostly liquids. While adult ants can break down solids into small enough particles for their larvae to consume, the best way to determine receptivity to a particular foodstuff is to try it.

In addition to nutrient content, there are other factors may influence how well foods are received, including, but not limited to: contained moisture, ambient temperature, time of year, species preferences, and number of hungry larvae in the nest.

Most ants thrive on a diet of insects and sugary liquids, such as Sunburst Ant Nectar.

How about fish foods as a substitute?  Specifically when the colony is founding and most insects would be far too small for them to consume...

#5 Offline matt123 - Posted September 27 2017 - 3:02 AM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

The ants by me love when my friend drops chips on my patio, they start going nuts for it. We look back in 20 minutes and the tetramorium are swarming.

But my real question is, will ants eat starch? Or are they solely after simple sugars? I just didn't ask the question correctly by wrapping it around this silly little scenario.

Gnocchi is a potato pasta, it's basically a lump of potato lol. google it.

I will try it and let you guys know.

Edited by matt123, September 27 2017 - 3:07 AM.

#6 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 27 2017 - 3:36 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

I've thought about switching to Sunburst Ant Nectar since the honey water mixture I make seems to spoil when left out of the fridge. The fact that SAN doesn't spoil makes me want to try it out. 

Check out my Youtube

#7 Offline Serafine - Posted September 27 2017 - 4:13 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Some ants, especially harvester ants, will happily take noodles and potatoes - most ants however are carnivores that have no use for vegetables and plant protein.

The ants by me love when my friend drops chips on my patio, they start going nuts for it. We look back in 20 minutes and the tetramorium are swarming.

Tetramorium are semi-granivorous which means they are like a quarter harvester ant. They often collect small seeds and nuts during fall to store them as winter reserves.

However they could also be in for the salt (that's why it's a good idea to occasionally feed the ants some ham).

Edited by Serafine, September 27 2017 - 4:13 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#8 Offline matt123 - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:27 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

Well I fed them some gnocchi (once again, basically potato, and it is soft) this morning. I gave both of my colonies a small amount so I can tell if they actually ate it since my colonies only have their nanitics (maybe 8-12 workers each).

One colony seems to have eaten the small piece, while the other set it aside. Whether the second colony stored it or threw it away is unclear at this time.

experiment inconclusive.

Edited by matt123, September 27 2017 - 5:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users