• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Impatience

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 15 2017 - 6:28 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I've notice a lot of young hobbyists are taking their colonies out of hibernation in the middle of winter. I want to remind everybody that patience and diligence are required for raising a healthy colony. If your ants are still in hibernation, it is best to leave them there.

• Roachant, Loops117, noebl1 and 6 others like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 15 2017 - 11:39 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

If I ever move to the mainland, I will probably just keep ants in the garage. That way, they will get natural hibernation.

Well said, BSF.

• FeedTheAnts likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline Roachant - Posted January 15 2017 - 5:10 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
It is tempting to take out my ants as I miss them (believe it or not!) but it gives us a chance to take care of other things while they sleep.
  • Martialis, antgenius123 and Mettcollsuss like this

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 15 2017 - 5:16 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I think that if they get adequate hibernation, taking them out during the winter is fine

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted January 15 2017 - 8:22 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Temperate ants need that diapause period. It is not a  suggestion, and is required for a healthy ant colony in many parts of the world.

Edited by Martialis, January 15 2017 - 8:23 PM.

• LC3 likes this
Spoiler

#6 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 15 2017 - 8:59 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Well said, it can be a time to reapproach how you care for your ants or even start new colonies.

• Martialis likes this

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#7 Offline dermy - Posted January 15 2017 - 11:54 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I've noticed even when I reverse Hibernated some of my colonies, [even with the 3-4 months of hibernation] they still were in a semi-hibernation like state. The queen didn't lay any eggs, and the workers never did much, they did take in a bit of sugary liquids but that was it, other than that they just lounged around all day.

Although I've had other Colonies that were perfectly fine with Reverse Hibernation.

As suggested it's just better to let them hibernate especially if your new and don't have many queens or colonies. Just take this a time to clean up and get a nice spot setup for them and maybe get some supplies for the next coming year.

Also it's nice to take a break, I mean how many pets can you "put into hibernation" and then do nothing much other than make sure they aren't moldy and have water available.

• LC3 and Martialis like this

#8 Offline AntsMAN - Posted January 16 2017 - 7:33 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I took out some of mine before winters end, but these gals I put in a little early(Mistake). Some never got a proper hibernation last year(Mistake). All of them are getting 3+ months hibernation this year.

After 3+ months hibernation I took all the founding queens out and fed them. After a few days 1 Crematogastor cerasi queen and 1 Formica subsericea queen laid her first eggs. One of my Myrmica sp. had a few eggs as well but she must have eaten them as I don't see them anymore.

Both my Formica subsericea and Formica pallidefulva colonies are still in a half hibernation state, Camponotus pennsylvanicus is very active right out of hibernation foraging. Lasius alienus and Lasius neoniger are still a little slow as well.

My bigger colonies 50+ workers, I'm giving them an extra month of hibernation (4 months) and that should get them to spring (they went in a little later than the others).

I was thinking with the smaller colonies and single queens, they would have a better chance with a shorter hibernation.

My plan for next year is to start slowly cooling them down a month before winter and super feed them. Then as winter ends a month before start slowly warming them up again.

Edited by AntsMAN, January 16 2017 - 9:24 AM.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#9 Offline Martialis - Posted September 18 2017 - 1:11 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Since winter's coming up soon, might as well bump this.

• noebl1 and ColKurtz like this
Spoiler

#10 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted September 18 2017 - 3:10 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Well, I am in the mainland now. I will probably put ants in my garage.

• noebl1 and Spamdy like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#11 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 18 2017 - 4:21 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I'm also in the north east and basements and wine chillers work great out here too for some species.

Watch Amazon Warehouse specials as I got a $180 wine chiller open box for $45, so never know. Outside box was dinged up, but chiller was in perfect condition.

#12 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 18 2017 - 4:25 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I keep my ants in my garage year round, I never have to worry about temperature at all and they just hibernate whenever nature tells them to.

• noebl1 likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#13 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 18 2017 - 6:03 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Where have you been?!?!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Martialis likes this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#14 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted September 18 2017 - 6:18 PM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

This will be my first year hibernating...  I've literally been in the hobby for about a month and a half at this point, and hibernating my colonies is weighing on my mind pretty heavy right now...  Currently all my founding queens are still tubed (Camponotus Sayi, Camponotus Festinatus and Pogonomyrmex Barbatus), but the Pogonomyrmex are getting close to being ready to turn into a formicarium and outworld...  And that leads me to several questions...

I live in Ft Worth, Texas, and there are times when the temps get sub freezing (usually our lows are in the upper 20's or lower 30's, and the highs are in the upper 40's or lower 50's, from late Nov through early Feb)...  We will have times when our lows are in the teens and highs in the 30's...  That gives me a hesitation about putting them in the garage...  I'm not sure the garage will hold upper 40's or low 50's on it's own, and I don't want to risk freezing the colony...  So, I'm looking for a plan B...  Which currently consists of me blocking off a spare room upstairs and letting the room 'chill'...  This would allow me to have better control of their environment through the winter, and (hopefully) keep the temp in the 50's, regardless of the temp outside..............  Unless...  unless there is a warm winter trend...  and then the room would naturally warm up...  But that's not all that common (at least not for long periods of time in the dead of winter)...

Which leads me to my biggest question...  Once you have a formicarium and an outworld, when it comes time to hibernate the colony, how do you clear out the outworld to shut things down for the winter?  if I move the colony into a cooler, I wouldn't have room to move the outworld there too...  so, how do you get all the workers out of there and into the formicarium?

How do others in comparable climates hibernate their colonies?  How often do you check on them?  Do you feed them at all?  If so, how?

Finding tons of information on caring for colonies of all kinds of species, but I haven't come across any good info about exactly HOW to hibernate a colony, and the steps to do it right...

• ColKurtz likes this

#15 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted September 18 2017 - 8:15 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

When a colony is ready to hibernate, the vast majority of ants should already be more or less dormant inside the formicarium. Separate the outworld and formicarium, plug both ends, and chill your formicarium. Later, pop the outworld in the fridge for a few minutes and manually relocate any workers to the formicarium. Everyone in both should be sluggish enough to not really put up a fight. If you have so many workers that this is impossible, losing a few probably isn't that big of a deal.

I live in Kansas, so a bit North of you, but I usually only check on them a couple times a month. Make sure nothing is molding, no leaks, temperature holding steady, that sort of thing. Protein won't be necessary, but they might appreciate sugars. I had good results with about three and a half months. Twice during that time, I put them in a cold room, let them more or less wake up, and fed them some sugar water. They were returned to the cooler within a day of that. Is this necessary? Probably not. Will they gladly seize the opportunity? Sure seemed to, and it didn't seem to have any negative effects. People closer to Canada may have different results.

I think the reason you don't find much information is because it's really easy to overthink, but all there really is to it is holding a colony at a set temperature for a few months. It sounds like you're on the right track.

• NanceUSMC likes this

#16 Offline Martialis - Posted September 18 2017 - 8:17 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Where have you been?!?!

maxresdefault.jpg

Earth.

Spoiler

#17 Offline Serafine - Posted September 19 2017 - 3:28 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Above or below it?

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#18 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 19 2017 - 6:33 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Agreed!  I'm planning on keeping my colonies on a shelf near a window so they can get cool, but not freeze - or putting them in a cooler basement if that doesn't work.

I'd also like to point out that if you want to have an active colony in winter, get some P. Imparis (winter ants) as they will still forage/be active!

#19 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted September 19 2017 - 5:26 PM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

When a colony is ready to hibernate, the vast majority of ants should already be more or less dormant inside the formicarium. Separate the outworld and formicarium, plug both ends, and chill your formicarium. Later, pop the outworld in the fridge for a few minutes and manually relocate any workers to the formicarium. Everyone in both should be sluggish enough to not really put up a fight. If you have so many workers that this is impossible, losing a few probably isn't that big of a deal.

I live in Kansas, so a bit North of you, but I usually only check on them a couple times a month. Make sure nothing is molding, no leaks, temperature holding steady, that sort of thing. Protein won't be necessary, but they might appreciate sugars. I had good results with about three and a half months. Twice during that time, I put them in a cold room, let them more or less wake up, and fed them some sugar water. They were returned to the cooler within a day of that. Is this necessary? Probably not. Will they gladly seize the opportunity? Sure seemed to, and it didn't seem to have any negative effects. People closer to Canada may have different results.

I think the reason you don't find much information is because it's really easy to overthink, but all there really is to it is holding a colony at a set temperature for a few months. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Thanks!  You're probably right, and I'm overthinking this...  my biggest fear is that I don't get them down long enough (due to warmer winter weather, or that I freeze them trying to do it artificially)...  =)

#20 Offline Spamdy - Posted September 19 2017 - 6:02 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Nvm Removed by author.

Edited by Spamdy, September 19 2017 - 6:04 PM.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users