• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

girlfriend dumped ants

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Conik - Posted November 1 2017 - 4:34 AM

Conik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

okay guys so i come home from work and i go check my ants to put them into hibernation and when i go check my ANTS ARE GONE ! after checking i found that my girlfriend dumped them in this container after checking the container i see no signs of ants (1 queen about 3 workers) so i scramble and add the original test tube with water and food inside to see if they will come back inside.... couple hours later i recheck and the food is gone but no ants inside tube so I'm thinking to myself well at least i know they are in here  :yahoo: so i just added more honey to at least keep them fed.... i start thinking to my self well they weren't doing so well in the test tube anyways since i raised her in a jar until she had her first workers and in the test tube she wasn't  doing very good so maybe this isn't so bad. 

what should i do now ? should i just skip this years hibernation (1st one)  and put them into hibernation next year ?

{ below are some pictures of the container and what i did }

https://imgur.com/wTGTwoW

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted November 1 2017 - 4:41 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

No. Do not skip it, take the ants out for a few days to let them move back in.

After this happens, put them back in hibernation and remove the food. Ants don't eat during this period.

• Conik likes this
Spoiler

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 1 2017 - 4:54 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

what should i do now ? 

Eat her leftovers and Halloween candy for revenge. 

• dspdrew, Works4TheGood, Martialis and 2 others like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted November 1 2017 - 7:45 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Go dump her cat out.

• dspdrew, ctantkeeper, Martialis and 3 others like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted November 1 2017 - 12:09 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Go dump her cat out.

Idk if revenge is a good idea... but if you paid for the ants I would make her pay for new ones if they die.

• Ant Broski and Conik like this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#6 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted November 1 2017 - 12:12 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
Go eat her cat.

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted November 1 2017 - 12:27 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Go dump her cat out.

Idk if revenge is a good idea... but if you paid for the ants I would make her pay for new ones if they die.

How To Control And Dominate Women
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#8 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted November 1 2017 - 12:28 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood

Go dump her cat out.

How To Control And Dominate Women
:clapping:

#9 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 1 2017 - 1:55 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If my girlfriend or wife did that with my ants (or even video games or any of my stuff in fact), that would be the end of that relationship.

Edited by Vendayn, November 1 2017 - 1:56 PM.

#10 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 1 2017 - 2:28 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Don't do anything bad, I know what's going on here. Your girlfriend may not have known that your ants were hibernating, and got disgusted by seeing them while getting food. She then dumped them aside. Its understandable. In my opinion, I'd rather give up ants than give up a relationship. 

If I get a girlfriend again, someone in CT, probably my boy CTanter, will get a whole bunch of new colonies.

• noebl1 likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#11 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted November 1 2017 - 2:44 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood

Don't do anything bad, I know what's going on here. Your girlfriend may not have known that your ants were hibernating, and got disgusted by seeing them while getting food. She then dumped them aside. Its understandable. In my opinion, I'd rather give up ants than give up a relationship. 
If I get a girlfriend again, someone in CT, probably my boy CTanter, will get a whole bunch of new colonies.

Rule of thumb: visit a girl's house, check the fridge, see ants, like. See food, dislike. Fortunately I'm only twelve so I don't have to worry about all that poop.

#12 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted November 1 2017 - 3:03 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
[quote name="MrPurpleB" post="76312" timestamp="1509577391"]

[quote name="MrPurpleB" post="76312" timestamp="1509577391"][quote name="Connectimyrmex" post="76306" timestamp
[quote name="Connectimyrmex" post="76306" timestamp="1509575329"]
If I get a girlfriend again, someone in CT, probably my boy CTanter, will get a whole bunch of new colonies.[/quote]Most of the suggestions were probably just jokes.

Edited by MrPurpleB, November 1 2017 - 3:08 PM.

#13 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 1 2017 - 4:01 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Rule of thumb: visit a girl's house, check the fridge, see ants, like. See food, dislike. Fortunately I'm only twelve so I don't have to worry about all that poop.

Rules to live by  :ok:

[quote name="MrPurpleB" post="76312" timestamp="1509577391"][quote name="Connectimyrmex" post="76306" timestamp
Most of the suggestions were probably just jokes.

I know. I was just making a joke :P

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#14 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted November 1 2017 - 4:43 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
So your post begs the question: Why did your girlfriend dump your ants into another container???
~Dan

#15 Offline Scrixx - Posted November 1 2017 - 5:28 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

So your post begs the question: Why did your girlfriend dump your ants into another container???

This is the real question. Did she know you kept ants as pets? 

• Works4TheGood likes this

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#16 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted November 1 2017 - 5:51 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Rules to live by  :ok:

Most of the suggestions were probably just jokes.

I know. I was just making a joke :P

Oh, I did not see that. Lol. I guess I have to work on my people skills. 

#17 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 2 2017 - 3:56 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Thanks. I got you covered ;). I've actually never had a girlfriend. I've been rejected more times than I can count. I am ready to get back out their though, after taking a little bit of time to work on myself. Everyone at MCC has been extremely friendly. I've actually had a few girls hit on me since I started my semester there. That has NEVER happened to me before lol. 

#18 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 2 2017 - 4:00 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Oh, I did not see that. Lol. I guess I have to work on my people skills. 

Yeah, I have trouble reading sarcasm and other social cues too, but that's partially due to my learning disability. It took me a long time to get where I am now. 

#19 Offline Serafine - Posted November 2 2017 - 5:38 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

https://vid.me/8IOB

https://vid.me/klki

;)

• ctantkeeper likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#20 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 2 2017 - 8:58 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Thanks. I got you covered ;). I've actually never had a girlfriend. I've been rejected more times than I can count. I am ready to get back out their though, after taking a little bit of time to work on myself. Everyone at MCC has been extremely friendly. I've actually had a few girls hit on me since I started my semester there. That has NEVER happened to me before lol. 

I only had a girlfriend for a week, and I've got dumped many times, so you're not alone.
Darn, I've never had a girl hit on me. I've got to up my game..

If you get a GF who hates ants, I got you covered as well ;)

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes