• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

when to move out of test tubes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline matt123 - Posted September 19 2017 - 4:42 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

hey guys,

When is it advised to move my colonies out of their test tubes?

I have two (what appear to be tetramorium) who have about 10 (+/- 2) workers now.

I have read some mixed reviews online during my research phases saying that the moment the first workers hatch to anywhere from 100 workers it is wise to move the colony into a set up with an outworld.

Any suggestions on when to do this? At the moment they are on a semi steady diet of honey (they don't always eat it) and one colony is just finishing up its first protein meal, a crane fly. while the second has finally accepted its first protein meal, a spider that was in my room mocking me. The colonies seem happy but I wonder if the tubes are too large and wide open for them. Also, I do not claim to be the ant whisperer and know when they are happy.

It probably doesn't change much but it is worth noting that I use Epi-Pen tubes, not true test tubes. The Epi-Pens that my dad gets have ridged tubes and therefore don't roll around, they were also readily available when I visited.

I have a ten gallon fish tank that I planned on filling with some dirt for one colony. Or even getting a divider of some kind so I can house both colonies in it.

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 19 2017 - 4:58 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

For now, if they are tugging/trying to get past the cotton plug then you can put them in a small outworld. Any small bucket will do, you just place the tube open in the outworld and apply a barrier. This is what most people recommend for small colonies. As for the test tubes, I use very large ones and even my small Crematogasters don't mind the extra room.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, September 19 2017 - 5:01 PM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline matt123 - Posted September 19 2017 - 5:20 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

So if they are not tugging and rarely venture away from the brood leave them be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users