• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius workers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 17 2017 - 4:34 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Northeastern lower peninsula, Michigan
Caught around 4pm under a brick with a few larva.
They're grayish/brown in color.
3mm.

Can anyone tell what kind of worker these two ants are? I need to know if they're a Lasius type - and if so, can i use them for a host colony? These are the best pics I can get at the moment.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qqpUe

Edited by Jamiesname, September 17 2017 - 4:37 PM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 17 2017 - 5:27 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Definitely Lasius.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline skocko76 - Posted September 18 2017 - 3:15 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

You cannot host a colony with just worker ants. You need a queen. If you'd found the queen with the workers and brood, then yes.

I advise against taking a wild colony, but if you do, always take workers alongside the queen. She won't be able to go through the re-establishing by herself.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 18 2017 - 12:48 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You cannot host a colony with just worker ants. You need a queen. If you'd found the queen with the workers and brood, then yes.

I advise against taking a wild colony, but if you do, always take workers alongside the queen. She won't be able to go through the re-establishing by herself.

This is untrue. Many of us, including myself, start parasitic colonies with hosts consisting of nothing but workers.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 18 2017 - 12:50 PM.

• noebl1 and Nathant2131 like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline skocko76 - Posted September 18 2017 - 2:16 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Oh, you are correct Batspiderfish, my apologies. Of course, a parasitic queen would have to be introduced. I meant to say that one cannot have a lasting colony without a queen (that Japanese species aside)

#6 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted September 18 2017 - 2:35 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Parasitic Lasius species exist throughout North America and Europe, not Japan.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#7 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 18 2017 - 3:04 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Yes, I have a Lasius latipes queen. I've got her in a 3x test tube contraption I made. She's in there along with 30-40 workers (one of which is pictured above) that I introduced a few at a time. She's also in there with 17 eggs. The workers and eggs are from the same nest. Today I tossed in a few Lasius latipes eggs to see if the workers would eventully accept those also, or if they'd kill them. So far they moved them to a separate test tube but have otherwise left them alone.

#8 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted September 18 2017 - 3:09 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I'm glad that the workers accepted the queen!

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#9 Offline skocko76 - Posted September 18 2017 - 10:34 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Parasitic Lasius species exist throughout North America and Europe, not Japan.

I was thinking of that queenless species in which workers lay eggs. I did not realize we were talking about hosting a parasitic queen in the beginning. Apologies for introducing confusion into the topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users