• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID 9/17/17 Kansas

Best Answer Connectimyrmex , September 18 2017 - 3:11 PM

Lasius neoniger/alienus.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline hendicott - Posted September 18 2017 - 10:19 AM

hendicott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Kansas

Collected in Overland Park, KS on 9/17/17 at 6:15pm. There was a storm the night before, it sprinkled on and off most of the day, then the sun came out about 4pm, there was no wind. There was a swarm on a pavement stone in my back yard of about a dozen queens and another 2 dozen around in the grass working their way up the blades of grass and flying off into the sun set. along with a colony of much smaller ants, some of those also had wings. I collected 2 of each at the swarm. The smaller of the 2 are 3 to 4mm and all black. The rest of the colony was also black and around the same size but fractionally smaller. I watched them fly off to the west under the sun set and that there must have been a hundred of them between me and about 3 (house) yards out. After a while some started coming back. I followed one coming in for a landing and she had a partner ^^ (one of the littler kind like at the take off point). But I only saw them for a second while they disappeared in the deep lawn.

I when to sit on my deck, with container ready, to look at the others I had caught at the swarm and I saw a queen on the underside of the table. Since I could see though the table it was an easy collection but this one had NO WINGS! She has taken them off already. Now it seems most likely that these were all elates coming out of the swarm of the same colony. It seems like all the girls left first while the guys waited around left after that. Some flew out and some flew straight up. I could see where those went. I only saw one come back but while looking on the ground when I last saw this pair, I saw others.

She is 8.5mm, smooth, light brown, with a gold sheen covering all her parts. During movement, a powdery gold flashes or changes depending on where the light is.

Thanks,

Hudson

Queen 9 17 17

--Hudson--

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 18 2017 - 10:31 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Deleted the double post. :)

Its Lasius sp. However to narrow it down we need better pictures. Something along the lines of Lasius neoniger/alienus if I had to guess.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline hendicott - Posted September 18 2017 - 11:21 AM

hendicott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

thanks,

Heres a couple more pic. sorry best i can do with an iPhone.

Queen 9 17 17 2
Queen 9 17 17 3

--Hudson--

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted September 18 2017 - 3:11 PM   Best Answer

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Lasius neoniger/alienus.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, September 18 2017 - 3:12 PM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 18 2017 - 3:29 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

There's really no way to tell what species group your queen belongs to without intense magnification; she could be in the niger or flavus group. Once the workers eclose, if they are yellowish in coloration they are more likely to be in the flavus group, and if they're brown, your queen is probably a member of the niger group.

It is unlikely you will find Lasius alienus at this time in Kansas; they typically fly far before most new world Lasius. If your queen is L. alienus, the workers will be dark grey to black in coloration.

• ColKurtz likes this

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 18 2017 - 3:35 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius alienus doesn't fly this late (in North America), so this would be Lasius neoniger or Lasius pallitarsis. Probably the former.

• ColKurtz likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline hendicott - Posted September 18 2017 - 8:36 PM

hendicott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the best guesses everyone and the info to research some sp. I have better magnification but it's the best I can do with the camera I have. She looks most like lasius neoniger based on looking at pictures of neoniger, alienus and pallitasis. The males and workers were black. We'll see what happens in the spring with workers and maybe I'll get a better camera too.

--Hudson--

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users