• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

P. Rugosus Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted September 24 2017 - 1:14 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

So my Rugosus queen has been acting up ever since I got her. She's fertile, and has one larva and six eggs. However, she is very easily scared and when she is she runs about with her larva in her mouth. I was wondering if anybody had any Rugosus care tips at all? Anything is useful, such as diet or captivity conditions. Anything helps, thanks!

#2 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 24 2017 - 5:08 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Leave her alone. Of course she'll be scared when she's supposed to underground in the dark and all of the sudden we take a peek and now there's light, movements, and vibrations. All of the Pogonomyrmex queens I have do that too when I look at them. It looks like Pogonomyrmex is especially jumpy though. My Pheidole and Forelius don't care all that much when I pick up their tubes and look at them in the light. Even my Myrmecocystus can be observed with a flashlight without them panicking all that much. Though my Dorymyrmex insanus are also a bit jumpy, but not as much as the Pogonomyrmex.

My P. subnitidus did great in a test tube placed in an out-world. She was caught on July 6, 2017 and she's up to 15 workers now. This year I had successful P. rugosus founding in a water bottle, medicine bottle, small snap cap container, and test tubes. They seem like a pretty easy species to found and they don't seem picky at all from my experience. As far as diet goes Pogonomyrmex eat seeds almost exclusively. I read somewhere about 98% of their diet is seeds with the other 2% as insects. 

This is my first year ant keeping so I'm not that experienced yet but I seem to have passed the founding stage fairly easily for this genus. For the next part, the formicarium stage, you'll need to give them a dark dry area to store their seeds. They're called Harvester Ants for a reason. They'll stock pile seeds in dedicated chambers of their nest, usually at the top where it's dry.

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#3 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted September 24 2017 - 5:11 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Leave her alone. Of course she'll be scared when she's supposed to underground in the dark and all of the sudden we take a peek and now there's light, movements, and vibrations. All of the Pogonomyrmex queens I have do that too when I look at them. It looks like Pogonomyrmex is especially jumpy though. My Pheidole and Forelius don't care all that much when I pick up their tubes and look at them in the light. Even my Myrmecocystus can be observed with a flashlight without them panicking all that much. Though my Dorymyrmex insanus are also a bit jumpy, but not as much as the Pogonomyrmex.

My P. subnitidus did great in a test tube placed in an out-world. She was caught on July 6, 2017 and she's up to 15 workers now. This year I had successful P. rugosus founding in a water bottle, medicine bottle, small snap cap container, and test tubes. They seem like a pretty easy species to found and they don't seem picky at all from my experience. As far as diet goes Pogonomyrmex eat seeds almost exclusively. I read somewhere about 98% of their diet is seeds with the other 2% as insects. 

This is my first year ant keeping so I'm not that experienced yet but I seem to have passed the founding stage fairly easily for this genus. For the next part, the formicarium stage, you'll need to give them a dark dry area to store their seeds. They're called Harvester Ants for a reason. They'll stock pile seeds in dedicated chambers of their nest, usually at the top where it's dry.

Makes sence to me. How long does it usually take for one to go from egg to worker.

#4 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 24 2017 - 5:33 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Makes sence to me. How long does it usually take for one to go from egg to worker.

About 6 weeks for both species in my experience. They were kept in 78-88F. Depends if the AC was running or not.

Edited by Scrixx, September 24 2017 - 6:02 PM.

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#5 Offline Pleming - Posted September 24 2017 - 5:35 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Yes, All of my species P. Rugosus freak out the most when it comes to light or vibrations. 

I got from egg to worker in 42 days but she was kept at 85f the whole time. I have some that were kept around 80 and they took 2 months. 

My first workers did not respond to seeds well so I gave them fruit flies and they gladly accepted them. 

#6 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted September 24 2017 - 5:49 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Yes, All of my species P. Rugosus freak out the most when it comes to light or vibrations. 

I got from egg to worker in 42 days but she was kept at 85f the whole time. I have some that were kept around 80 and they took 2 months. 

My first workers did not respond to seeds well so I gave them fruit flies and they gladly accepted them. 

This species sounds pretty unpredictable.

Edited by Ants_Texas, September 24 2017 - 6:10 PM.

#7 Offline Pleming - Posted September 24 2017 - 5:58 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

This species sounds pretty unperdictable.

All ants can be unpredictable. Just try to and learn as much as you can.

I've had queens start out doing great then die for no reason. All you can do is do your best and hope for the best.

One thing I love about P. Rugosus queens is how aggressive they are. My camponotus queens run from everything.

#8 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted September 24 2017 - 6:11 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

This species sounds pretty unperdictable.

All ants can be unpredictable. Just try to and learn as much as you can.

I've had queens start out doing great then die for no reason. All you can do is do your best and hope for the best.

One thing I love about P. Rugosus queens is how aggressive they are. My camponotus queens run from everything.

Really? My C. Pennsylvanicus queen LOVES to bite things. Every single time I offer food her two workers cower behind her as she devours what I give them.

#9 Offline Pleming - Posted September 24 2017 - 7:04 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Wish mine were like that. They run from pre-killed crickets lol

#10 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted September 24 2017 - 7:24 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members