• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dorymyrmex insanus identified!

Best Answer Gregory2455 , November 27 2014 - 5:52 PM

Dorymyrmex insanus. I have never been so sure answering an ID. This is Dorymyrmex insanus.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 27 2014 - 4:47 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I was out harassing some local Pogonomyrmex today when I noticed a small mound with small black ants going to and fro. They looked like Argentine ants but smaller and quicker. Any clues what they could be?

IMAG4290
IMAG4291
IMAG4294
IMAG4295

Edited by Foogoo, November 29 2014 - 9:53 AM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 27 2014 - 5:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Impossible to tell due to the quality of photos, but possibly Pheidole?

You'll absolutely have to get clearer shots that are less dark and show features more clearly in order to even begin to speculate as to the species.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 27 2014 - 5:10 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Impossible to tell due to the quality of photos, but possibly Pheidole?

You'll absolutely have to get clearer shots that are less dark and show features more clearly in order to even begin to speculate as to the species.

Yeah that's my fault, they woke up quick from refrigeration so I was scrambling to get a few shots with my phone.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 27 2014 - 5:11 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Camera flash may help lighten things up.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 27 2014 - 5:52 PM   Best Answer

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Dorymyrmex insanus. I have never been so sure answering an ID. This is Dorymyrmex insanus.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 27 2014 - 5:56 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Now that you say it, that is probably more likely, especially given the location.

#7 Offline Chromerust - Posted November 27 2014 - 5:57 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
D. Insanus are often found living among pogonomyrmex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 27 2014 - 6:09 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Here is an older image of my colony of Dorymyrmex insanus.

#9 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 27 2014 - 8:43 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Your queen never shed her wings?

Thanks! I was thinking maybe that's what they were, since they really did run around like they were insane, but I've never seen them before. Their mound (picture too big to post) also looked identical to one online.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 27 2014 - 10:19 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah I agree. These make little three to four inch volcano-like mounds.

#11 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 28 2014 - 7:48 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Just want to say that I agree regarding the D. insanus ID.

And about those "black Solenopsis"???...

Edited by James C. Trager, November 28 2014 - 7:49 AM.

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 29 2014 - 6:29 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Well Dorymyrmex sp. anyway.

Edited by gcsnelling, November 29 2014 - 6:29 AM.

#13 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 29 2014 - 6:37 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

My comment above was an oblique hint to Foogoo to edit the title. Now a direct hint. ;)

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 29 2014 - 8:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

My comment above was an oblique hint to Foogoo to edit the title. Now a direct hint. ;)

Is it that there is no such thing as a black Solenopsis? S. invicta almost look black sometimes.

Either way, it would be best if once an ant has been identified, the title at least be changed to contain the correct species. It helps people out a lot when they're searching for answers. Location as well.

Well Dorymyrmex sp. anyway.

I totally get that. I recently found what I thought was D. bicolor, but after getting her workers, I can see it's definitely (Edit: after looking again, maybe not definitely :)) not D. bicolor. The workers actually look like some other "D. insanus" I've seen before. There's clearly a few different species there.

Edited by dspdrew, December 1 2014 - 6:55 AM.

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 29 2014 - 9:52 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

People have told me I don't read hints very well, I can't disagree. :D

• dspdrew likes this

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 29 2014 - 10:25 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
There are black Solenopsis. Just not in California...

#17 Offline Tpro4 - Posted November 29 2014 - 7:51 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
When you put in chicken pieces, are they raw or cooked? I asking to feed my queens
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#18 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 29 2014 - 8:03 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

When you put in chicken pieces, are they raw or cooked? I asking to feed my queens

I think you're going to end up with a mess if you're contemplating feeding meats of any kind to a small colony.  

Larger colonies with plenty of larvae do much better with management of protein granules (small bits of meat that are broken off for storage), including exhibiting non-destructive hoarding behavior.  Smaller colonies may also hoard, but will be more susceptible to mold since food does not get processed as quickly.  

Eventually, any meat the colony stores will rot and will cause a terrible odor.

#19 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 29 2014 - 8:07 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Eventually, any meat the colony stores will rot and will cause a terrible odor.

I know this first hand... :sick2:

#20 Offline Tpro4 - Posted November 29 2014 - 8:08 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Okay, but how raw or cooked?
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users