• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Newbie species recommendation suitable for display tank?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline salvoz - Posted September 11 2017 - 11:56 AM

salvoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Folks, 

Total greenhorn here as far as ants go, but I do like creating vivariums and was hoping to set up something "natural-looking" at work. Any thoughts on a relatively easy, good-sized, and interesting species for a 10-gallon (or so) tank colony? 

Thanks in advance!

Sal

#2 Offline GeorgeK - Posted September 11 2017 - 12:14 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Lasius Niger colonies are great for starters and low maintenance, they do take some time to grow large in numbers tho

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted September 11 2017 - 1:43 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Where are you located?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline salvoz - Posted September 14 2017 - 7:18 AM

salvoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

los angeles

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted September 14 2017 - 7:32 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If you want an easy-to-care ant I'd rather recommend Formica fusca than Lasius niger.

- Formica fusca can have multiple queens, so if you found with say 3 queens it's not a big deal if one dies.

- Formica fusca colonies top out at about 2000-3000 ants which is still a very manageable size, Lasius niger on the other hand can grow to over 50000 (!) workers and will teach you the importance of a good barrier (starting at year 3+).

- Lasius niger are very territorial ants that will attack nearby colonies when they break out, Formica fusca is rather timid and usually doesn't actively attack but rather avoid conflict.

- Formica fusca workers are twice as large als Lasius niger workers which makes them MUCH easier to contain. The chances of them slipping through a small breach is far lower than with the tiny Lasius workers.

- Formica fusca is as adaptable and widespread as Lasius niger. When they fly it is hard to miss them (cause they're everywhere), they are easy to raise and they can found with multiple queens which increases the early worker count of the colony.

Edited by Serafine, September 14 2017 - 7:59 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted September 14 2017 - 7:43 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Oh, california! that's like ant paradise over there. For a 10 gallon tank, Novomessor cockerelli comes to mind. Fascinating, species. Actually, a member by honourable, made a thread about his novomessor cockerelli in a DIY ten gallon set up. Check it out here.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline salvoz - Posted September 14 2017 - 8:02 AM

salvoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. N. cockerelli does seem like a great option and there is a local source for them  :D  Now if I could only build honourable's DIY setup! 

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#8 Offline SirAnticus - Posted September 14 2017 - 8:48 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal
Nurbs and Drew are the main ant sellers in Socal. They both have N. cockerelli, too.
  • T.C. likes this

#9 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 14 2017 - 10:06 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I love Novomessor cockerelli, they are a large species, easy to care for, and are very clean.  If you keep them in test tubes, you almost never see any scum build up and they are well organized.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users