• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogaster question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted September 14 2017 - 3:28 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Hi, new guy here. I caught two Crematogaster queens yesterday. I was wondering will they lay eggs before going into hibernation or do they wait till after? Also, how cold it too cold to hibernate the queens at? Can I just put them in the fridge?

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 14 2017 - 5:14 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Sometimes they lay eggs before hibernation, but they usually wait till spring. The eggs definately won't turn to workers before hibernation. Good catch, though. Crematogaster queens are quite elusive. I am still yet to find one.

#3 Offline Ameise - Posted September 14 2017 - 8:06 PM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Sometimes they lay eggs before hibernation, but they usually wait till spring. The eggs definately won't turn to workers before hibernation. Good catch, though. Crematogaster queens are quite elusive. I am still yet to find one.

I notice that you are in Chicago. I'm in Naperville. Crematogaster flew here yesterday. I caught about... 40 or so queens. If you need any, let me know. Also caught Lasius. They weren't elusive at all here. They should be cerasi, but some might be lineolata.

Also, the Crematogaster cerasi queen I caught earlier this year had brood. She likely hibernated without brood and laid in spring. That seems to be what they usually do; it took a few months for her to have workers, but my basement is relatively cool.

Edited by Ameise, September 14 2017 - 8:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users