• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Two species vivarium question

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted September 11 2017 - 4:26 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

DON'T DO T.SESSILE! 

They're extreme escape artists!

In truth, Aphaenogaster would be the best species. They are relatively shy and often coexist with even the most aggressive species (I had an Aphaenogaster piece colony live with a C. chromaiodes colony in a 8 gal aquarium for a while)

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#22 Offline LC3 - Posted September 11 2017 - 4:49 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I do not second Lasius, at least ones that forage above ground. For one they are quite aggressive and territorial, not to mention fast growing. Might not be a problem at first but probably will eventually. I'd imagine subterranean species would do so long you provide them with enough substrate, sap sucking insects and keep the main Camponotus nest not touching the ground.

Formica sp. and Lasius neoniger seem to get along quite well. Their nests can be as close as a 1/2 of an inch together. Never have observed fighting between the two species. Although agression of lasius towards myrmica is quite common.

That is in the wild, where ants can do as they please, it's not uncommon to find a couple of species all nesting together (Leptothorax and Myrmica with many species like Lasius, Aphaenogaster occidentalis next to Formica, I remember one time MILTA found a Camponotus colony nesting to a Solenopsis sp.). We're talking about an 18 gallon closed tank here.

• Evanthomas89 likes this

#23 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 12 2017 - 3:09 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I think the suggestion of Temnothorax sounds like one of the best.

Of the colonies you listed, Tapinoma sessile might not be a bad choice. There's a colony of them in my backyard and they seem to peacefully coexist with their neighbors, mostly Tetromorium and Temnothorax. I also have a colony myself and they seem quite meek and unaggressive. That combined with their small size might make them a viable option.

Whoa buddy, I don't know what T.sessile live in your area but they are very invasive. Trust me, they will take over, not a good idea.
Tapinoma sessile is not an invasive species, but they can be pests to a household.
From what I've heard and seen they do wipe out other colonies in their area, and are territorial. It would also highly depend on how many queens your T.seeile colony has.

The colony only has one queen.

#24 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 12 2017 - 3:23 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I think the suggestion of Temnothorax sounds like one of the best.

Of the colonies you listed, Tapinoma sessile might not be a bad choice. There's a colony of them in my backyard and they seem to peacefully coexist with their neighbors, mostly Tetromorium and Temnothorax. I also have a colony myself and they seem quite meek and unaggressive. That combined with their small size might make them a viable option.

Whoa buddy, I don't know what T.sessile live in your area but they are very invasive. Trust me, they will take over, not a good idea. 

Tapinoma sessile is not an invasive species, but they can be pests to a household.  

From what I've heard and seen they do wipe out other colonies in their area, and are territorial. It would also highly depend on how many queens your T.seeile colony has.

That would make them aggressive then.  An invasive species would be Solenopsis invicta or Linepithema humile.

The colony only has a single queen. 

#25 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 14 2017 - 2:06 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Just caught a two new queens that could be potential candidates:

• Ponera pennsylvanica
  • Brachymyrmex depilis

#26 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted September 23 2017 - 2:21 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Could you give updates when you make this. It sounds interesting.

#27 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted September 24 2017 - 6:43 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Do Ponera. They are terrible climbers, but are semi claustral.

• Aquaexploder likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi