• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

When to Start Feeding Colony

firstfeeding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 30 2017 - 5:12 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
My super small, I don't even know if you would call a group of 5 ants and a queen with a bunch of brood a colony, but yea I will just call them a colony anyways. I was just wondering when do I start feeding them, also how do I feed them when their home is just a test tube. Also what would I feed them?

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Pleming - Posted August 30 2017 - 10:24 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

You can feed them inside the test-tube, put test-tube in outworld, or attach an outworld. If you feed them inside the test-tube I suggest using a piece of foil or paper to put the food/liquid to avoid mold on the test-tube. They will need a carb source and I protein source. I would suggest honey diluted with a little water and fruit flies for that small of a colony but the options on endless. This also of coarse depends on what species of ants you have.

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 31 2017 - 2:55 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
These ones are solenopsis invicta. Also should I put some food in the Rubbermaid container filled with dirt I picked for them and move them in, and let them already start digging a nest?

Edited by AntPhycho, August 31 2017 - 3:07 PM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline Pleming - Posted August 31 2017 - 9:45 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

No, you do not want to move them into a formicarium too early. You want to wait until the queen has a decent amount of workers. This will  increase there chances of survival. Lucky for you solenopsis species grow fast. If you don't have an outworld and you can't feed them inside the test-tube then put the test-tube in the container. I wouldn't suggest dirt because you want them to stay inside the test-tube for now.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users