• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogaster vs. Aphaenogaster ID's

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CNewton - Posted August 30 2017 - 7:59 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

I snagged a couple queens off my truck, in the morning dew, a couple weeks ago. I am pretty sure they are Aphaenogaster. But, for the sake of argument, are their any defining, stand out characteristics that could help me quickly rule out one over the other. Both seem very similar in appearance. 

Aphaenogaster are morning fliers(?). Mine, and many I see in ID requests hold their mesostoma high, angled downward, similar to how I might expect a wasp to be.

Crematogaster are evening fliers(?). Mesostoma is kept more or less straight, with the heart shape.

Inside the test tube, it is hard to get a good top visual of the mesostoma. all three I caught were winged when I caught them. 2 have shed and laid eggs, 1 still has her wings and has not laid any eggs. I have not yet caught or seen a Crematogaster queen, I am sure once I do, the differences will be obvious. Until then, can an expert enlighten me?

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 30 2017 - 8:08 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Hmm, If the queens are black then most likely they are Crematogaster, if they have a slightly tapered mesosoma then they are Aphaenos, If they have a longer, ganglier appearance then they are Aphaenos, If they have a gennerally round bodily appearance then they are Crematogaster, if they have a more creepy, wasp like body then they are Aphaenos, and please post some pics.

• LC3 likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 30 2017 - 1:49 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I've always know Crematogaster to be morning fliers and Aphaenogaster to be evening fliers, I may be wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users