• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Protein for Ants?- Moths

moths ant feeding feeding moths to ants

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 25 2017 - 11:39 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Is feeding moths to ants a good protein source, or not? Would it be better than lets say, feeding a wild ant/beetle to the colony? (Any colony)

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 26 2017 - 3:02 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Moths are fine. Just kill them before feeding and consider removing the wings, which are covered in small scales that fall off and act like dust.
  • ctantkeeper likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted August 26 2017 - 1:54 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I've got a Lasius colony living under my blacklight. During the night, any insect unfortunate enough to land near their colony (espiecially moths) gets drug into the nest for processing. I even lifted the stone they were nesting under, and there were at least five moths in a chamber!

Spoiler

#4 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 27 2017 - 4:38 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

I've got a Lasius colony living under my blacklight. During the night, any insect unfortunate enough to land near their colony (espiecially moths) gets drug into the nest for processing. I even lifted the stone they were nesting under, and there were at least five moths in a chamber!

Cool!

Moths are fine. Just kill them before feeding and consider removing the wings, which are covered in small scales that fall off and act like dust.

Alright, thanks

#5 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 27 2017 - 4:38 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

that's neat! Good luck!

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moths, ant feeding, feeding moths to ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users