• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Perlite and Sanded Grout Nest?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntChamber - Posted August 25 2017 - 9:47 AM

AntChamber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I can't find any AAC/ytong/hebel near me, so I guess I am going to try a grout nest. I don't really want to pay for 2 types of grout (sanded and unsanded), but I do want to have a sturdy nest with good water absorption by the tunnels.

Could I accomplish this by using sanded grout for the entire mold, just mixing in a lot of perlite around the tunnel area?

Also, what are the pros and cons of a siliconed glass cover vs one secured with magnets that is removable? Does it make a difference if the nest is horizontal vs vertical?

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted August 25 2017 - 11:25 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Grout nests are difficult to perfect in my experience. I recommend starting out with unsanded grout and play sand in a 50/50 ratio and change your measurements for each nest you make until one comes out the way you want it. I don't know why you would need sanded grout, just use unsanded for everything. You can try making a couple cube molds and test out a few ratios before attempting your nest. Some key things to look out for in my opinion would be absorbtion, durabilit, and evaporation. You want high absorbtion, high durability, and low evaporation. You might even be able to find a paint to seal the outside of the nest to prevent evaporation.

Magnets are really useless in my opinion because you can easily just secure acrylic with screws way tighter and cheaper than magnets. You can even take 2 sheets of plastic, lube them up and compress silicone then cut it out to make a gasket between the nest and acrylic for smaller species.

Good luck making your nest, hoped this helped :)

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline AntChamber - Posted August 25 2017 - 12:50 PM

AntChamber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

So unsanded grout is strong enough to make a nest by itself? I am thinking of making it 8x10.

Also, I am not following your gasket idea.

Thanks for the help though!

edit: I think I get it now; you're saying I could make thin gaskets for screwed in acrylic by compressing silicone. I guess I was skeptical of grout ability to hold a screw into it.

Edited by AntChamber, August 25 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#4 Offline KBant - Posted August 26 2017 - 12:21 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

https://www.amazon.c...eywords=magnets

i bought some of these magnets- btw they seem pretty strong- to use to hold my glass and i bought epoxy glue to glue the magnets to the glass and grout. https://www.amazon.c...ords=epoxy glue

I like the idea of being able to clean out my formicarium between colonies. and i am going to build a 2 sides grout nest, both sides with glass covers. i will block off the connection in the middle between the two sides with cotton, and once the colony is big enough, connect the two sides. it will also have an outworld. i will post a DIY tutorial once i have made a successful nest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users