• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pool Chlorine and Queen Ant Health

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 5 2017 - 9:31 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
I have caught many queen ants both in and out of pools, and have wondered what long exposure to chlorinated water could do do ants. When I collect queens from chlorinated pools, I have always immediately rinsed them gently in fresh water to rid them of any chemicals they may have been exposed to. Would these pool-caught queens be at a greater risk of death if not rinsed in fresh water?

#2 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 6 2017 - 6:32 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I don't think so - I've caught a good amount of queens from the pool and don't rinse them at all.  None of the queens that I've collected from the pool have died so I don't think it hurts them too much.  They just get a bit lethargic at first.

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 10 2017 - 3:31 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I don't think so - I've caught a good amount of queens from the pool and don't rinse them at all.  None of the queens that I've collected from the pool have died so I don't think it hurts them too much.  They just get a bit lethargic at first.

I agree, I catch a lot of queens out of the pool and they are just as healthy as queens caught on the ground. I don't even rinse them, but you might want to do that if your worried. 

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 10 2017 - 3:40 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I agree, I catch a lot of queens out of the pool and they are just as healthy as queens caught on the ground. I don't even rinse them, but you might want to do that if your worried. 

Same here. I'm afraid to rinse them, I try to dry them off as soon as possible to limit their exposure to unnecessary excess water.

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted July 11 2017 - 11:19 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

From other posts, I've seen that some queens die after chlorine exposure (such as anergates and other fragile species). From personal experience, I also know that Ochetellus queens can't stand chlorine. 

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#6 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted September 9 2017 - 7:50 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I personally have checked the pool every night and morning, and know that 12 hours in the pool will kill them. I don't rinse my queens when I catch them, and most survive and do fine. I say over 6 hours, and the queen dies from my experience, but I may be wrong.

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted September 9 2017 - 7:52 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
There was a double of this thread. On the other one, II wrote...

"I've caught many queens in pools including our own and I would never rinse them. Never had an issue. Chlorine levels in pools isn't really all that high. It takes long term exposure to see even the slightest affects. I used to drink our pool water as a kid (I was somewhat dumb) and even with it being inside me it wouldn't harm me. It only takes a few minutes for an
ant to drown. So if it is still alive when you find it, it hasn't been exposed to the chlorine for very long and should be just fine. "
  • Martialis likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users