• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Great ant youtube channel

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 8 2017 - 6:57 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Paul Juhl

I found this guy a while ago and love his channel!

Just thought I'd share :D

• Spamdy likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 8 2017 - 7:20 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

(Deleted the other one :) )

Yeah, if you like those kind of videos, check out Anthony Turners channel too. He's got some nice ant setups.

• FeedTheAnts likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Spamdy - Posted September 8 2017 - 7:25 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Both of them are huge Tar Heel Ants Fanboys. :)

• T.C. and FeedTheAnts like this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#4 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 8 2017 - 9:34 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Its hard to not be though, Macks stuff is so well made.
  • Spamdy likes this

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 8 2017 - 10:10 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Its hard to not be though, Macks stuff is so well made.

I'm thinking about buying a Mini Hearth to put my Crematogaster in. Is it any good, and how much better is the museum glass than the regular glass?

• Spamdy likes this

#6 Offline Spamdy - Posted September 8 2017 - 10:37 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

My experiences of the Tar Heel Ants Fortress, and Mini Hearth (this review is for the Mini Hearth)

Pros

- Viewing is great.

- Hydration is good, as long as you know how much your ants like.

-The space provided can fit many ants. For example the Mini Hearth can 30+ Workers, Queen, and brood (Camponotus)

-Good aesthetics

-Destructive ants such as Camponotus, Messor, etc.

-The lid is neither hard to open or easy to open, no ants can crawl out and the mesh allows for needed ventilation.

Cons

-Taking pictures is a pain to do, because the chamber is so deep, there are a lot of shadows, when taking pictures, shadows may cover up your ants, but actually looking at them, you can see them clearly.

-The outworld for the mini hearth is too small. A feeder would take up more than 1/3 of the space provided.

-The outworld is too short, though it may look tall, it is only 2 inches tall. When housing a lot of ants, feeding becomes a problem because ants are constantly trying to escape. A solution to this is to apply a barrier.

-The corners are not rounded, they are sharp, big ants can easily scale the corners, while smaller ants can too.

I don't think Museum Glass is needed, as they are basically the same thing, if you want to take better photos, Museum Glass is better. All it does is have less Glare. The shadows are something you can't take away. As for the amount of Crematogaster workers you can fit, probably 100+.

It's up to you if you want to purchase it. 

Edited by Spamdy, September 8 2017 - 10:38 AM.

• FeedTheAnts and ColKurtz like this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#7 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 8 2017 - 11:01 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

My experiences of the Tar Heel Ants Fortress, and Mini Hearth (this review is for the Mini Hearth)

Pros

- Viewing is great.

- Hydration is good, as long as you know how much your ants like.

-The space provided can fit many ants. For example the Mini Hearth can 30+ Workers, Queen, and brood (Camponotus)

-Good aesthetics

-Destructive ants such as Camponotus, Messor, etc.

-The lid is neither hard to open or easy to open, no ants can crawl out and the mesh allows for needed ventilation.

Cons

-Taking pictures is a pain to do, because the chamber is so deep, there are a lot of shadows, when taking pictures, shadows may cover up your ants, but actually looking at them, you can see them clearly.

-The outworld for the mini hearth is too small. A feeder would take up more than 1/3 of the space provided.

-The outworld is too short, though it may look tall, it is only 2 inches tall. When housing a lot of ants, feeding becomes a problem because ants are constantly trying to escape. A solution to this is to apply a barrier.

-The corners are not rounded, they are sharp, big ants can easily scale the corners, while smaller ants can too.

I don't think Museum Glass is needed, as they are basically the same thing, if you want to take better photos, Museum Glass is better. All it does is have less Glare. The shadows are something you can't take away. As for the amount of Crematogaster workers you can fit, probably 100+.

It's up to you if you want to purchase it. 

Thanks! I will be probably buying one after hibernation.

• Spamdy likes this

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted September 8 2017 - 11:08 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
He does take a while to ship. Like months from what I've heard on some orders. ;) Also there's been complaints of ventilation issues. But they look really good.

#9 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 8 2017 - 12:22 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

He does take a while to ship

Wait, TarHeel ants is a specific person. I was kinda under the impression that it was like a large company with tons of people and factories and stuff, that's interesting.

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted September 8 2017 - 1:09 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

He does take a while to ship

Wait, TarHeel ants is a specific person. I was kinda under the impression that it was like a large company with tons of people and factories and stuff, that's interesting.

Haha, factories. :lol: Hobby's too small for that. He hand builds each one himself I believe.
  • klawfran3 likes this

#11 Offline Serafine - Posted September 9 2017 - 12:10 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Even the companies that produce fully (or mostly) automated usually just consist of a printer and a laser cutter in a back room or garage.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#12 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 9 2017 - 6:20 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Yeah the owner is THA is named Mack, he's very nice and super helpful.

I think his mini hearths are wonderful for species that grow slowly, are small, or need hanging space like myrmica, pogonomyrmex, and Myrmecocystus (respectively). The water chamber lasts about a week or two depending on your humidity, and the outworld, even though a bit small is still large enough for any colony living in it, save for a large colony of a large species like camponotus.

I've got one with museum glass and the rest without, and I feel like it's a personal preference whether it's worth it or not. I love how it feels like there's no glass between you and the ants, but because I don't spend every minute of my day staring into my ants (a few minutes a week mostly) I'm not sure if the price justifies it. Maybe for a large showpiece formicarium it would be great since you can always see in, but it's up to you. I say get a regular mini hearth and one with museum glass and see what oyu prefer.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users