• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need Help Finding Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted July 13 2017 - 1:00 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland

These are the only attini ants in my state, and I've been searching every where for them. How do you find them? Does anybody know how to? At this point, any suggestions are welcome!

• Martialis likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted July 13 2017 - 1:09 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

You don't have any Pheidole? Where do you live? They usually enjoy sandier soils, and I remember reading somewhere that they like loose clay in Indiana. I want them, too! :)

Spoiler

#3 Offline AntswerMe - Posted July 13 2017 - 2:54 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
I've always found mine the day or two after a rainstorm after they have undergone mating flights. You might see them digging out their founding Chambers in the ground. When they do fly they tend to fly in large masses and I see many of them at one time as they scurry around.

#4 Offline cpman - Posted July 14 2017 - 11:22 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

You don't have any Pheidole? Where do you live? They usually enjoy sandier soils, and I remember reading somewhere that they like loose clay in Indiana. I want them, too! :)

He's probably talking about fungus growers in particular.

With regards to the original question, I've seen Trachymyrmex in a pretty wide variety of places. The workers are somewhat inconspicuous. They seem to be more common in less developed areas (but I've seen them in the suburbs).
  • Martialis likes this

#5 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted July 15 2017 - 8:48 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

He's probably talking about fungus growers in particular.

With regards to the original question, I've seen Trachymyrmex in a pretty wide variety of places. The workers are somewhat inconspicuous. They seem to be more common in less developed areas (but I've seen them in the suburbs).

Hmm, that's certainly interesting, I am searching like mad right now, i.e.-tearing through leaf litter, flipping over rocks, etc. And I am currently searching for Trachymyrmex septentrionalius. My apologies for the confusion, I probably should have clarified my situation better :blush: 

I do have Pheidole​ in my area, and I want them as well too. I can't describe my excitement when I saw some Pheidole minors and majors eating a dead caterpillar at the staircase base in front of my house :yahoo:  

• Martialis likes this

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted July 15 2017 - 9:05 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Just curious - where are you from? I think I remember you saying NJ, and if that's the case, MILTA knows a place where they can be found.

Spoiler

#7 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted July 15 2017 - 9:19 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

MD, not NJ

• Martialis likes this

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#8 Offline cpman - Posted July 17 2017 - 9:27 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
I forgot to mention this at first, but they like deeper soils around here at least.

I'm not sure how applicable that is where you are, because we've got both deep and very shallow soils here (at my house, the soil is a handful of inches, but the other side of town has soil a few feet deep.)
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

#9 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:20 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Aquaexploder and I have been disussing this very issue since you mentioned it in the MA anting thread. Here's what I've got.

These are the key words I have so far: Sand, South, Coast, Dry, arid, Pine Barren, Cactus, red oak.

They like dry full sand soils.That makes me think of cactuses, which just so happend to be mentioned in one of my research sources. There is a prickly pair cactus native to new england. It also likes the sandy patches and is found along the south coast of MA, RI, and CT. I checked a soil temp map of the US for a reference temp for NJ and the Newport, little compton area are in the same isobar, as is parts of coasta CT nearer to NYC. Block Island is also a possibility, as i've seen long island listed as within their range.

Given the often patchy distribution, extreme habitat selectivity, small colony size and their dietary peculiarities, It is distinctly possible that this species may range the whole south coast of NE and the cape and islands, and have never been detected. Especially as if this is the edge of their range they'd be fairly uncommon. It's also possible they've been riding the climate change north.

This is my mission next spring! :-)
  • FeedTheAnts, rmurdoch and camponotuskeeper like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users