• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test tube feedings and/plus Formica behaviour

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadant - Posted August 17 2017 - 8:09 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

My Camponotus test tube colony is generally relaxed when viewed. That's not to say there isn't small issues but I'll get to that below. However, my Formica queen and her two new nanitics get really flustered when I view them. When I pull them out off their dark shirt (test tube) they start racing around and grabbing eggs etc. I never view them for more than 30 seconds. How are your Formica ants generally?

Also, how do you go about feeding your test tube colonies? Even now that my Camponotus colony is reaching 10-15 workers it's becoming difficult not allowing them to escape. I'm not even sure how to approach the Formica.

Advice or just general thoughts/discussion and comments?

Sincerely,

Canadant

"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#2 Offline Volant - Posted August 17 2017 - 8:46 AM

Volant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNY
My Formica queen is just like that. When she sees light she goes into panic mode. As for feeding your Camponotus, if it's near impossible to feed them in the test tube, I would recommend getting/making a outworld. That way they should be able to get food on their own.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

"Oportet nos cognoscere ex nostrorum VI-tripodes amicis."

Founding:

Tetramorium cf. caespitum (x1)

Lasius cf. Neoniger (x1)

Colony:

Tetramorium cf. caespitum (x1)

Solenopsis molesta (x3)

Aphaenogaster cf. picea (x1)

#3 Offline Pleming - Posted August 17 2017 - 6:54 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

I have a few Camponotus species and they are all still in there founding formicarium. It can be a little bit stressful when I feed them because I have to open the founding chamber to do so.  Sometimes they freak out and I have to wait until they calm down and others times they don't care. I keep a snap-cap container with me when I feed them in just case one gets out which has happened a few times. I just grab her put her in the fridge for 15min then drop her back in. 

I would suggest getting an attachment to add to the test-tube or placing/attaching a small out-world. It can be as easy as using tuberware with fluon/olive oil as a barrier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users