• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sawdust-based substrate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ameise - Posted August 10 2017 - 2:23 PM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I'm trying to make a formicarium substrate using sawdust (oak, black walnut, maple). However, I want to be able to turn it into something roughly similar to MDF.

My understanding is that wood glues are generally out, as they are [poly]urethane-based, and thus generally toxic to small invertebrates. I've tried mixing sawdust with plaster, but that just turned into a weird mess. I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas about what to do?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 11 2017 - 12:39 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
It will compress a great deal.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Ameise - Posted August 11 2017 - 10:07 AM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

It will compress a great deal.

I'm wary of the strength of compressed sawdust, particularly in vertical formicaria. I imagine it would have similar issues to dirt in regards to collapse. I'm wondering if there are any glues/adhesives that would work that would be safe; as said, most wood glues that I can find are [poly]urethane - I haven't found any that aren't. Cyanoacrylate could work, but I'd need a massive amount... maybe mixing with resin could work as well, though it may become too hard at that point. Plaster didn't work as the sawdust retained too much water, and seemed to prevent the plaster from curing correctly.

#4 Offline Lukas2021 - Posted August 13 2017 - 3:48 PM

Lukas2021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I would try the compressed wood idea, just compress it into a good shape and not crumble it.

I found this forum topic which may be helpful

http://familywoodwor...wn-pressed-logs

Let me know how it goes!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users