• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question about my queen and her eggs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline invicta - Posted August 9 2017 - 5:19 PM

invicta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight as to why my Crematogastor queen who I just caught about 4 days ago has had about 8 eggs laid but she bunches 3 together and the another 3 and then the other two are underneath her is that normal?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 9 2017 - 6:28 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Ants are an early evolutionary form of birds, so she's sitting on the eggs to keep them warm.

Jokes aside, eggs naturally stick to one another, and the optimal behavior would be to group them all together. However, optimal behaviors occur infrequently in nature, and are even less common in captivity. There's no problem. Just let her do her thing.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 9 2017 - 6:29 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline invicta - Posted August 9 2017 - 7:22 PM

invicta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
Lol that was a good one i was wondering about that. But definitely will let her do her thing just making sure i appreciate the quick reply.

#4 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 10 2017 - 12:14 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

I think it's like doing laundry, she cleans and rotates the eggs daily, some might be to close to the cotton, too humid while the other eggs might need a drop of moist. If the eggs stay in one position without cleaning then I reckon there's a higher chance of bacteria forming on the egg/larvae.

Or maybe it's just OCD...egg pile, larvae pile, nanitic pile....wait!!! what did I do with the workers???

Or thirdly.....Women.

Edited by lucas3431, August 10 2017 - 12:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users