• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to stick sand to the outworld's surface?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline chatogaster - Posted August 5 2017 - 2:39 PM

chatogaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Seems like a regular challenge and something done in many designs, but haven't seen good advice on how to do it.

I'd like the surface of the outworld to be covered in sand, and look like regular sand, but the ants shouldn't be able to move it. Ideally the method should also allow for some sort of sculpting of the surface.

I'm guessing some of you pour plaster or grout into the outworld, then cover it with sand while it's still wet. How happy are you with this approach? Does the sand cover the surface completely once the loose grains are shaken out? How do you shape the surface, since it's not very shape-able when wet, and you can't use tools afterwards since the sand only covers the surface?

Any other ideas? Some kind of sand dough, which would have sand throughout the volume and be sculptable? Sticking the sand to the surface of plaster/grout post-sculpting, with some ant-friendly glue?

Any tips very appreciated : )

Camponotus herculeanus

Lasius niger

Mystery ant

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 5 2017 - 3:14 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Simplified explanation:

I use cotton balls as a base, and pour the gypsum stone (fully mixed, creamy, semi-fluid state) on top of that, and quickly use forceps to pull at the cotton to sculpt the desired terrain before adding other decorative elements like pebbles and wood partially embedded in the stone, before finally pouring a variety of particles on top to stick to the surface of the set stone. Then it sets and I pour the loose stuff out and rinse prior to other finishing touches.

The trick I found is to just subtly sculpt the terrain, and use other elements for added depth and embellishment.

With skill and patience, you can achieve something like this:

Edited by drtrmiller, August 5 2017 - 3:38 PM.

• Barristan and chatogaster like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline chatogaster - Posted August 7 2017 - 1:17 PM

chatogaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Ha, I'll try it out - thanks!

P.S. And thanks for the byFormica products - I have a full set by now ;)

Edited by chatogaster, August 7 2017 - 1:18 PM.

Camponotus herculeanus

Lasius niger

Mystery ant

#4 Offline AntsArizona - Posted August 8 2017 - 7:19 AM

AntsArizona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

I recently made several mini Outworlds and working on larger ones. I'm currently using Sanded grout. Once the grout has been poured, i top it with sand and rocks and whatever i want to stick into it. Then I move the outworld around to move the sand around to untouched areas. Once it dries, I just tip it upside down to get the excess out. It's worked for me so far.

• chatogaster likes this

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 8 2017 - 7:25 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

...You want it?! I'm in a daily battle with my Tetramoriums that I'll wash it off with water and they'll rebuild because I'm not removing the sand yet...

Darn lil buggers have got...like...window shades now. 

• Spamdy and lucas3431 like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline Crash - Posted August 10 2017 - 5:42 AM

Crash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDowningtown, PA

What i have done is made a really thin coat of grout and spread it where I want the sand and sprinkled the sand on the wet grout and let it dry. A little surface sand may come off but most with stay and leave a sandy texture 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users