• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Benefits of Real Plants?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AndersT - Posted August 2 2017 - 8:24 AM

AndersT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDenmark

I know this is something that has been debated before, but here goes...

I do a lot of gardening and love my chilli plants. Unfortunately, my indoor plants have lately attracted aphids. This is a pest that I'm likely never going to get rid of, unless I throw out my plants (which isn't happening). 

So, I've instead started thinking about some kind of use for these guys. I'm toying with the idea of creating an outworld for my L. niger, where I create an indent for a potted chilli plant, which I can then transfer some aphids to. I won't care about the plant giving fruit, so I'll prune it to prevent it growing too big. 

I do have some worries though. First of all, I need to prevent the ant colony from just moving into the pot. Second, I'm unsure if any fungal-diseases or other problems can arrive, via the potted dirt. This sort of ties in with the first problem, and it might instead be easier to just not allow the ants access to said dirt. Lastly, I'll have to keep the aphid population down, not only to prevent them from making "flyers", but also to keep the plant alive.

You reckon this will work? Will the ants even care about the aphids? Do you foresee any other problems arrising from doing this?

• lucas3431 likes this

#2 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 2 2017 - 8:57 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Remove plant from pot, remove all of the soil even rinsing the roots with water, then add the plant to a pot of organic earth. It would be wise to raise a springtail colany, they will eat any mould in and around the plant.

As for your Ants using it for a nest, well you would need to figure a way to cover the top and bottom of the pot. The bottom would be easy as for the top with the stems I'm not sure about, I have a colony of Ants living under a plant in my garden, the roots make a solid structure to hold earth in place, the Ants use the stems as a nest entrance. The only solution I can think of is an all natural setup.

L. niger love aphids so I don't see why they wouldn't care and feed from them.

Oh and make sure to give the plant sunlight...I'm sure you already know that as you are a gardener  :) .

Edited by lucas3431, August 2 2017 - 9:00 AM.

#3 Offline JessicaAaron - Posted February 17 2024 - 4:22 AM

JessicaAaron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

In a world dominated by technology and artificial surroundings, the simple presence of real plants can offer a multitude of benefits that extend beyond mere aesthetics. These green companions contribute significantly to our physical, mental, and emotional well-being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users