• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica ravida queen Victoria BC setup?

formica ravida queen setup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Russell - Posted July 28 2017 - 11:23 PM

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVictoria Canada

Hi All 

We found a Formica ravida queen. She is temporarily parasitic so I need to give her pupa is my understanding but some articles say give these queen pupa, same say workers and pupa as she can not care for pupa and eggs?.

Can people who know this species clarify?. 

I did set her up with Formica pupa and cocooned eggs that are close to hatching. At first she seemed to ignore the pupa and try to escape but it looks like she might be caring for them now but hard to tell. 

Should I give her workers?. Is so how best?. 

Thank You

Russell 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus/Modus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica Podzolica

Lasius Alienus

Lasius Niger

Formica Ravida 

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 29 2017 - 1:16 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

You do not have to give her workers. Give her some pupae and she'll know how to care for them.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline Russell - Posted August 13 2017 - 11:28 PM

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVictoria Canada

Update; This is my second Formica ravida I found. The first after i tried giving it brood dies shortly after and it never seemed to take to the brood(i.e. never stood over them or carried for them).

So this second queen we gave some brood at several different stages of development. First few days did not care for brood at all(same as original queen) then started standing over however but not really taking care of brood.  This lack of care for the first few days might have led to the few brood not developing so we tried giving her formica workers( to help with brood care) by cooling both queen and workers down then introducing. Queen(likely)  killed workers over a day or so:(

So I picked brood very close to hatching from cocoons and placed them in tube with her. Surprise she cared for them and two workers hatched and are doing well and caring for rest of brood. I was close to giving up. So if everything stays as it is we should have a successful temp parasitic queen colony. 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus/Modus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica Podzolica

Lasius Alienus

Lasius Niger

Formica Ravida 

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 14 2017 - 5:51 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

There are lots of Formica social parasites other than Formica ravida, just so you know. You might want to try to have them identified, if you can get good pictures.

Anywaaays, not all social parasites are the same; Lasius social parasites are almost never capable of caring for brood, whilst Formica social parasites can do this pretty competently. Some species of Formica can sway host workers over to the queen's side, but they are more likely to kill or scare away all the adult members of the nest and simply raise the abandoned brood as her own. Formica social parasites have also been observed walking out of the nest with pupae, perhaps stashing them at her own nest site.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users