• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feeding Maggots to Ants

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TroxxyTee - Posted July 27 2017 - 1:20 PM

TroxxyTee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm thinking about raising maggots for my ants, any opinions on this? 

#2 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 27 2017 - 1:39 PM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Sure, at that point though you may as well do fruit flies?

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted July 27 2017 - 1:51 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Raise mealworms. I can't imagine raising maggots, they are disgusting. Mealworms are probably one of the easiest to raise too.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#4 Offline TroxxyTee - Posted July 27 2017 - 1:55 PM

TroxxyTee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I don't find maggots 'disgusting' if I'm being honest. I'm trying to find a way where I can produce as much ant food as possible without spending as much money as I'd being spending with mealworms, fruit flys, etc. 

• SeaShell likes this

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 27 2017 - 2:11 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Maggots are fly larvae for your information. So culturing maggots would just be the same as culturing flies.

#6 Offline Salmon - Posted July 27 2017 - 2:11 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Maggots really aren't a bad idea. They grow way faster than most insects, and you'll have more insect biomass in less time.

But I also find them gross enough that I wouldn't deliberately raise them indoors or feed them to my ants. Black soldier flies maybe, but your typical carrion feeding maggots really trigger most people's disgust response.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 27 2017 - 3:10 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Drosophila flies are honestly the cheapest and easiest ant food I've found. I spent $6 on one culture a year or so ago, and my small setup is producing yields which surpass the needs of my ~10 young colonies. All it takes is transferring some flies to a fresh medium every 2-4 weeks (consisting of instant mashed potatoes, sugar, and cider vinegar).

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Kevin - Posted July 27 2017 - 4:55 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I don't find maggots 'disgusting' if I'm being honest. I'm trying to find a way where I can produce as much ant food as possible without spending as much money as I'd being spending with mealworms, fruit flys, etc. 

I, and most of the world from what I've found, find maggots and pest flies to be dirty and gross. There's nothing like pulling out a trashcan and finding a bunch of maggots in it. Mealworms are cheap, buy a cup of 50-100 for $5 at PetSmart and put them in a container of dollarstore oatmeal. Done. Throw in potato, carrots, or lettuce scraps every so often.

Edited by Kevin, July 27 2017 - 4:56 PM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#9 Offline SeaShell - Posted July 28 2017 - 10:09 PM

SeaShell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I think maggots are cool, not gross.   What they like to eat is gross!  lol  

Maggots would be good for ants!  I've raised them for my chickens before.

Edited by SeaShell, July 28 2017 - 10:10 PM.

#10 Offline SeaShell - Posted July 28 2017 - 10:12 PM

SeaShell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I, and most of the world from what I've found, find maggots and pest flies to be dirty and gross. There's nothing like pulling out a trashcan and finding a bunch of maggots in it. Mealworms are cheap, buy a cup of 50-100 for $5 at PetSmart and put them in a container of dollarstore oatmeal. Done. Throw in potato, carrots, or lettuce scraps every so often.

The rotting food must start to smell or do the mealworms break it down too quickly?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users