• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mini Hearth Counter-Options?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 31 2017 - 3:06 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

For me, I've always had trouble with humidity and heat for ant colonies. It truely is the one thing I haven't mastered yet. I'm buying a honeypot queen, and I want a nice starting formicarium for her. I was thinking about the mini hearth as I've heard good things about it, but $45 for two tiny rectangles is rediculous. I will probably end up buying it anyway, unless anybody has a better idea? And how should I keep it nice and warm for her in there, without putting her in a garadge? (My garadge usually is about 120 degrees)

Edited by Ants_Texas, July 31 2017 - 3:07 PM.

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 31 2017 - 3:22 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Why not just a test tube?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 31 2017 - 3:25 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Why not just a test tube?

My last one died in a tube. No mites, no mold, no nothing. I'll also add she wasn't blocked inside, she was in a container. So she wasn't too humid either.

#4 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 31 2017 - 3:47 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I would buy a generation 1 mini hearth or a generation 2 mini hearth (make sure to block the second level with the included rubber stopper though). By filling the water tower (which is in the formicarium), you will be able to maintain a consistent humidity level that is suited for most ants. To heat the colony, simply place a reptile heating cable underneath the far left of the formicarium. This should provide adequate heating. For what your getting, the mini hearth is actually quite nice (especially the second version), but I feel your struggle though and wish their was something a bit cheaper. Best of luck with you new Myrmecocystus queen!!!

#5 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 31 2017 - 3:48 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I would buy a generation 1 mini hearth or a generation 2 mini hearth (make sure to block the second level with the included rubber stopper though). By filling the water tower (which is in the formicarium), you will be able to maintain a consistent humidity level that is suited for most ants. To heat the colony, simply place a reptile heating cable underneath the far left of the formicarium. This should provide adequate heating. For what your getting, the mini hearth is actually quite nice (especially the second version), but I feel your struggle though and wish their was something a bit cheaper. Best of luck with you new Myrmecocystus queen!!!

Thanks, I'll check it out.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#6 Offline Superant33 - Posted July 31 2017 - 4:29 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I have had a large degree of success by starting honey pots in a test tube. Substrate (usually slightly moistened sand) was placed adjacent to the ball of cotton. Every honey pot queen I have had was fed before I placed it in a test tube. I usually sealed the tube with cotton. Once the first worker arrived, I would dump a freshly frozen fruit fly in periodically. In addition, a small drop of sugar solution would be offered. Anything not consumed would be removed with a q tip. I kept the test tube sealed until a colony reached about 5 workers. Than I would allow them to forage on their own in a small glad container (open the tube-place it in a glad container). M. mimicus is pretty easy to raise. Hard to find in my area, but once found, i have had a high success rate.

#7 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 31 2017 - 4:36 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I have had a large degree of success by starting honey pots in a test tube. Substrate (usually slightly moistened sand) was placed adjacent to the ball of cotton. Every honey pot queen I have had was fed before I placed it in a test tube. I usually sealed the tube with cotton. Once the first worker arrived, I would dump a freshly frozen fruit fly in periodically. In addition, a small drop of sugar solution would be offered. Anything not consumed would be removed with a q tip. I kept the test tube sealed until a colony reached about 5 workers. Than I would allow them to forage on their own in a small glad container (open the tube-place it in a glad container). M. mimicus is pretty easy to raise. Hard to find in my area, but once found, i have had a high success rate.

I'm not willing to risk her dying from the humidity. This is going to cost me $70, on top of the $70 I spent on the one that died.

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted July 31 2017 - 4:45 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
I'd look into dspdrews formicariums. Those are really sweet.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#9 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 31 2017 - 5:00 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas
Where can I get some of those?

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted July 31 2017 - 5:05 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
Look through his projects page. By formica actually sells his "dirt shack" formicariums. Those are pretty nice as well.
  • ctantkeeper likes this

#11 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 31 2017 - 5:13 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas
Thanks I'll check it out.

#12 Offline Bryce - Posted July 31 2017 - 6:06 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az
If your interested I make hydrostone formicariums. I keep Mendex. They do great in my set up. You can see my video on YouTube of my formicariums. My YouTube name is antz16. Id would be willing to make you one and send it to you for free if you like. Let me know. I enjoy just making them and promoting the hobby. Watch the video and let me know what size, color, nest sand coating or not. Here a sand coating one 3x5 I cast a few weeks ago that would be perfect. You just need to paint it and add barbed 90s fittings.

Edited by Bryce, July 31 2017 - 6:18 PM.

#13 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 31 2017 - 6:11 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

If your interested I make hydrostone formicariums. I keep Mendex. They do great in my set up. You can see my video on YouTube of my formicariums. My YouTube name is antz16. Id would be willing to make you one and send it to you for free if you like. Let me know. I enjoy just making them and promoting the hobby. Watch the video and let me know what size, color, nest sand coating or not.

How generous of you! I'll look into it.

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted July 31 2017 - 6:12 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

If your interested I make hydrostone formicariums. I keep Mendex. They do great in my set up. You can see my video on YouTube of my formicariums. My YouTube name is antz16. Id would be willing to make you one and send it to you for free if you like. Let me know. I enjoy just making them and promoting the hobby. Watch the video and let me know what size, color, nest sand coating or not.

I like your smaller ones. Simple. If you sell cheap, I'll take one or two myself.

#15 Offline Bryce - Posted July 31 2017 - 6:30 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az
I haven't made any of those this year. I quit using them,they seem to outgrow them too fast. I use jars or little 3x5 setups seems I have better luck. I also only use vertical nests for my honey pots everything else I use horizontal nest.

Edited by Bryce, July 31 2017 - 6:35 PM.

#16 Offline T.C. - Posted July 31 2017 - 7:05 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

I haven't made any of those this year. I quit using them,they seem to outgrow them too fast. I use jars or little 3x5 setups seems I have better luck. I also only use vertical nests for my honey pots everything else I use horizontal nest.

I'm on the look out for anything cheap. Doesn't have to be pretty either. It just has to work and in most cases other than Drews dirt shack formicariums, no dirt either. Got pictures of these other things?

Edited by T.C., July 31 2017 - 7:06 PM.

#17 Offline Antking117 - Posted July 31 2017 - 7:41 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I highly recommend drews formicariums, mini hearth is the only good founding formicarium for tarheel in my opinion.

Edited by antking117, July 31 2017 - 7:43 PM.

#18 Offline Bryce - Posted July 31 2017 - 7:51 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az

I highly recommend drews formicariums, mini hearth is the only good founding formicarium for tarheel in my opinion.

I wouldn't say that. Tarhill makes some fantastic stuff. I really like his atoms,growth Chambers and other products he makes. His stuff is well done and proven to work. I never used Drew's dirt box but I think I will buy a few to try out. I know they are proven successful.

Edited by Bryce, July 31 2017 - 7:59 PM.

#19 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 1 2017 - 7:00 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Look through his projects page. By formica actually sells his "dirt shack" formicariums. Those are pretty nice as well.

I actually just ordered two of them, They look amazing!!!

#20 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 1 2017 - 7:08 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

If your interested I make hydrostone formicariums. I keep Mendex. They do great in my set up. You can see my video on YouTube of my formicariums. My YouTube name is antz16. Id would be willing to make you one and send it to you for free if you like. Let me know. I enjoy just making them and promoting the hobby. Watch the video and let me know what size, color, nest sand coating or not. Here a sand coating one 3x5 I cast a few weeks ago that would be perfect. You just need to paint it and add barbed 90s fittings.

WOW!!! your stuff looks absolutely phenomenal! would you mind sending me 2 or 3 of your small formicariums? I am in desperate need of new setups for some of my smaller colonies. I know it's a lot to ask, but I could really use the help.

Edited by ctantkeeper, August 1 2017 - 7:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users