• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Phoenix, AZ - July 25 2017

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline teek - Posted July 25 2017 - 8:00 AM

teek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationArizona

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Phoenix, AZ

2. Date of collection: July 25 2017

3. Habitat of collection: Road median with plants

4. Length (from head to gaster): 6-7 mm

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dark(black?), with shiny gaster

6. Distinguishing characteristics: Red mandibles. Black head/body. Lighter colored legs. Gaster has a sheen to it that is almost golden. Gaster also has two or three lighter colored lines going around the circumference.

7. Distinguishing behavior:

8. Nest description: Found while digging founding chamber

The uploader isn't letting me upload so I utilized imgur:

https://imgur.com/gallery/8r8c8

I wish I could get better photos. My camera phone is unable to focus much at all. Bought a macro lens for it and its focal length is so close it is hard to get close enough. I hope these are good enough for all you experts.

Apologies, I didn't get any photos of the founding chamber. I found this one while it was digging it, but I dug up a few others that looked identical and their founding chambers looked like small mounds.

And apologies for not getting images of the surroundings. Dirt was red. Was beneath a Palo Verde tree, near the watering system (drip irrigation, not sprinklers/etc).

#2 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 25 2017 - 8:21 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Look's like Dorymyrmex to me.

#3 Offline teek - Posted July 25 2017 - 8:42 AM

teek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationArizona

Look's like Dorymyrmex to me.

From AntWiki: Nests are often in open areas without covering, and entrances are surmounted by an irregular mound of loose soil.

Certainly describes what I saw for the nest. AntWiki photos are a bit lacking so I'll have to do some more looking to be certain (since I had such terrible photos).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users