• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What are the differences between Camponotus ligniperdus and Camponotus herculeanus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted July 27 2017 - 7:47 AM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Macedonia

What are the differences between Camponotus ligniperdus and Camponotus herculeanus? They look very similar to me and since I have a queen that was IDed as Camponotus ligniperdus I wanted to know. 

#2 Offline CNewton - Posted July 27 2017 - 11:26 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

According to AntWiki, C. ligniperda has a shiny gaster and brighter colour as well as being located more southern than C. herculeanus. Being your location says Macedonia, you likely have C. ligniperda.

#3 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 30 2017 - 1:38 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

C. ligniperda has a redish first segment of the gaster while C. herculeanus has a mostly dark gaster. 

Also as said above C. herculeanus is more of a northern species and in Southern Europe it is found only at higher altitudes.

vergleich-ligniperdus-herculeanus_1073_4

Edited by Jonathan21700, July 30 2017 - 1:38 PM.

• Barristan likes this

#4 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted July 30 2017 - 1:49 PM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Macedonia

C. ligniperda has a redish first segment of the gaster while C. herculeanus has a mostly dark gaster. 

Also as said above C. herculeanus is more of a northern species and in Southern Europe it is found only at higher altitudes.

vergleich-ligniperdus-herculeanus_1073_4

Thanks, this helps a lot. Follow up question: On the picture C. Ligniperda looks larger, is this something that always happens or just in these pictures? 

Thanks.

#5 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 30 2017 - 2:10 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Yes, I noticed that too it seems strange. Usually C. herculeanus is said to be the bigger species. I suppose it's just a smaller than usual sized queen on the picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users