• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Megacephala no longer regulated?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 19 2017 - 7:44 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I was looking at the USDA's list of "FRSMP: Pets No Longer Regulated at U.S Ports of Entry" (located here https://www.aphis.us...k!/#collapseOne) and saw that Pheidole Megacephala was added to the list.

In addition to the list, under the categories it's set to "No Regulatory Action Required" for Continental US, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S Territories, which I would assume means they are no longer regulated if they are found at any port of entry into the US - IE international airports.

So it seems like this species is legal to import into the US at the very least?  

• Antony likes this

#2 Offline Antony - Posted July 19 2017 - 8:07 AM

Antony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

It is native to usa already. I doubt they are legal to be imported. but if that is case its maybe because they successfully invaded usa already.

Life is amazing, it is what it should be.

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 19 2017 - 2:03 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 6:59 PM.

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 19 2017 - 3:04 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

It is native to usa already. I doubt they are legal to be imported. but if that is case its maybe because they successfully invaded usa already.

They certainly do not qualify as native.  I am not sure they would qualify as pets, pests maybe. You should notice that the date on that is 2012 and things may have changed since then. I would not count on there being no repercussions if you were found transporting them.

• Vendayn, Martialis and AnthonyP163 like this

#5 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 27 2017 - 7:14 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

They certainly do not qualify as native.  I am not sure they would qualify as pets, pests maybe. You should notice that the date on that is 2012 and things may have changed since then. I would not count on there being no repercussions if you were found transporting them.

I mean, once it's on there, it's on there - why would it matter how long ago it was if the list is kept up-to-date? (April 26, 2017 was the last updat)?  I think I will give the USDA APHIS a call and see what they say - I'll post what they say here.

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted July 27 2017 - 9:18 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The current US administration doesn't give a crap about any immigrant that has more than two legs and it doesn't give a crap about the environment either. Regulations for excess coal industrial waters poisoning drinking water have been removed and they refuse to ban a pesticide that is PROVEN to cause brain damage in children, scientists are excluded from ALL decisions even if they affect human health, scientists are dumped (ETA will fire almost 2000 employees until the end of the year), study results are hidden, just the pure fact that scientists are storing their data on non-government servers because they fear their data (and decades of their work) will be destroyed if the Trump administration and their corporate henchmen don't like the results or even just the field of research should tell you how catastrophic the situation really is.

Trump and his neoliberal billionaire club entourage believe that ANY AND ALL regulations are bad, even those that protect the health of average workers or citizens (this is the exact sort of thinking that caused 80 people to burn to death in the UK's Greenfell Tower because obviously fire safety regulations are bad for the construction industry and shouldn't be enforced properly...). They are waging a full-out war against scientist across the entire country to completely ban them from every single decision and mute their voices, because the Trump government doesn't care about facts. They don't care if the country goes to hell as long as the gods of corporation are pleased and they can fill their pockets while everyone else pays the price.

What makes you think they would in any way care about invasive ants?

Edited by Serafine, July 27 2017 - 9:26 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 27 2017 - 9:29 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

The current US administration doesn't give a crap about any immigrant that has more than two legs and it doesn't give a crap about the environment either. Regulations for excess coal industrial waters poisoning drinking water have been removed and they refuse to ban a pesticide that is PROVEN to cause brain damage in children, scientists are excluded from ALL decisions even if they affect human health, scientists are dumped (ETA will fire almost 2000 employees until the end of the year), study results are hidden, just the pure fact that scientists are storing their data on non-government servers because they fear their data (and decades of their work) will be destroyed if the Trump administration and their corporate henchmen don't like the results or even just the field of research should tell you how catastrophic the situation really is.

Trump and his neoliberal billionaire club entourage believe that ANY AND ALL regulations are bad, even those that protect the health of average workers or citizens. They are waging an full-out war against scientist across the entire country to completely ban them from every single decision, and mute their voices, because the Trump government doesn't care about facts. They don't care if the country goes to hell as long as the gods of corporation are pleased and they can fill their pockets while everyone else pays the price.

What makes you think they would in any way care about invasive ants?

Well, P. Megacephala was added to the list back in 2012 during the Obama administration, but I don't think any presidential administration has ever "cleaned out" the USDA APHIS department and hired in their new people so they will still have the same approach to things as they always have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users