• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline klawfran3 - Posted July 18 2017 - 7:40 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I found this queen walking across my floor last night and put her in a test tube.

Size: Approximately 4mm

Weather/Temperature: It's be about 85 or so all week, no rains or cloudy days either.

Color: Black

Distinguishing features: Looks Myrmecine to me, globular gaster and large thorax. Capitate (clubbed) antennae.

Also looking at it more it could be pheidole.

If someone could let me know if she's semiclaustral or claustral in addition to the ID that would be great. pPPYGvO.jpg

UkMWowB.png

Edited by klawfran3, July 18 2017 - 10:56 AM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#2 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 18 2017 - 8:13 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

The gaster almost seems crematogaster shaped to me - based on the head shape this seems more like a Pheidole than Aphaenogaster queen to me.  I could be wrong, but I think it's a bit early for Aphaenogaster to fly.

#3 Offline klawfran3 - Posted July 18 2017 - 8:19 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

The gaster almost seems crematogaster shaped to me - based on the head shape this seems more like a Pheidole than Aphaenogaster queen to me.  I could be wrong, but I think it's a bit early for Aphaenogaster to fly.

I realized that as soon as I posted it. Too bad I can't change thread titles!

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#4 Offline ultraex2 - Posted July 18 2017 - 8:30 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

No worries!

If you use the full editor does it let you change it?

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted July 18 2017 - 8:43 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

You can use the "full editor" on the first post to change the title.

Edited by Nathant2131, July 18 2017 - 8:43 AM.

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 18 2017 - 9:29 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

If it is completely black (a little hard to tell by the pictures), it could be Monomorium sp. The head looks too small compared to the mesosoma to be Pheidole, and I don't think it's not long enough to be Crematogaster or Aphaenogaster. The other option is Solenopsis cf. molesta, but I think it would have at least a couple shades of orange or red thrown in if it were, and it may be slightly longer.

Edited by VoidElecent, July 18 2017 - 9:50 AM.

#7 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 18 2017 - 9:43 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Pheidole or monomorium.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#8 Offline klawfran3 - Posted July 18 2017 - 11:00 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

If it is completely black (a little hard to tell by the pictures), it could be Monomorium sp. The head looks too small compared to the mesosoma to be Pheidole, and I don't think it's not long enough to be Crematogaster or Aphaenogaster. The other option is Solenopsis cf. molesta, but I think it would have at least a couple shades of orange or red thrown in if it were, and it may be slightly longer.

I took a better look under righter lighting, it's not 100% black as I though but a very very dark reddish brown.

I don't think it would be monomorium, I've had those before and this one is too big and oddly shaped. I'm leaning towards pheidole, solenopsis doesn't seem to fit as well. The head does look a little larger in real life, I think it's just the angle she's at in the photos.

#9 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 18 2017 - 11:10 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I took a better look under righter lighting, it's not 100% black as I though but a very very dark reddish brown.

I don't think it would be monomorium, I've had those before and this one is too big and oddly shaped. I'm leaning towards pheidole, solenopsis doesn't seem to fit as well. The head does look a little larger in real life, I think it's just the angle she's at in the photos.

4mm is very small, even for Pheidole. I would recommend taking some more photos, though. If the head is considerably larger in real life, I might consider Pheidole.

#10 Offline cpman - Posted July 18 2017 - 7:06 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
It looks like it has short spines on the mesosoma, which would rule out Monomorium sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users