• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Taking Care of Tetramorium

taking care of ants

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 19 2017 - 7:32 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Hi,

I am getting a Tetramorium Caespitum colony very soon, I have done my research and know they are polygenus. As they grow very large to about 20k workers, how many mealworms should they be fed when they are at that state (I want them to keep growing)? Thanks. Any information would be gladly appreciated.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 19 2017 - 7:43 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Best to keep doing research because they are not polygenus. 

• noebl1 and T.C. like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline XZero38 - Posted July 19 2017 - 9:01 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

i can also attest to the species not being polygenus. This species is extremely easy to care for, they will eat just about anything so feeding them is pretty easy. My colony is no where near 20k workers, I would guess mine is around 300 workers and they eat a lot. I feed them 3-4 crickets every other day with sunburst from byformica and i still think i need to feed them more judging by the behavior that they are massing and trying to find a way to get out of the outworld. So I'm guessing I'm either not feeding them enough or they need more out outworld space. 

• noebl1 likes this

#4 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 19 2017 - 9:26 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Some people have had tetramorium sp e colonies that have tolerated multiple queens, is that just a different sub-species?

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#5 Offline cpman - Posted July 19 2017 - 9:38 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Some people have had tetramorium sp e colonies that have tolerated multiple queens, is that just a different sub-species?

As far as I know, Tetramorium caesptium/sp. E in the United States is an assemblage of different genetic lineages that are virtually indistinguishable morphologically. The scattered reports of polygyny are probably due to a few factors. Pretty much all of them will found colonies from multiple queens. This doesn't necessarily mean that multiple queens will coexist in a mature nest though. Many, if not most kinds of ants that found colonies this way will kill off all but one queen. It's also possible that a couple of the genetic "species" in the group are polygyne. People also might be mixing up T. tsushmiae, a closesly related species that is polygynous, with T. caespitum/sp. E.

Edited by cpman, July 19 2017 - 9:39 AM.

• noebl1, Ants Galore and AntsMaryland like this

#6 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 19 2017 - 10:29 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Thank you cpman that is very helpful, because when I look up if they are polygenus I get very mixed results. Thanks.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#7 Offline BMM - Posted July 19 2017 - 5:31 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

As far as I know, Tetramorium caesptium/sp. E in the United States is an assemblage of different genetic lineages that are virtually indistinguishable morphologically. The scattered reports of polygyny are probably due to a few factors. Pretty much all of them will found colonies from multiple queens. This doesn't necessarily mean that multiple queens will coexist in a mature nest though. Many, if not most kinds of ants that found colonies this way will kill off all but one queen. It's also possible that a couple of the genetic "species" in the group are polygyne. People also might be mixing up T. tsushmiae, a closesly related species that is polygynous, with T. caespitum/sp. E.

Actually, from what I've read, T. sp. E is the specific species of the T. caespitum complex from Europe that took root in North America. Consequently, North American ant keepers shouldn't need to consider which species their pavement ants are when discussing behavior (save for exception of T. tsushimae in a small portion of the Midwest). However, it's possible that North American ant keepers have taken reports from Europe, where there are a larger number of pavement ant species, and assumed that they're inherently representative of T. sp. E.

• cpman likes this

#8 Offline cpman - Posted July 20 2017 - 7:30 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Actually, from what I've read, T. sp. E is the specific species of the T. caespitum complex from Europe that took root in North America. Consequently, North American ant keepers shouldn't need to consider which species their pavement ants are when discussing behavior (save for exception of T. tsushimae in a small portion of the Midwest). However, it's possible that North American ant keepers have taken reports from Europe, where there are a larger number of pavement ant species, and assumed that they're inherently representative of T. sp. E.
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that only one of the lineages had been introduced to the US. I haven't exactly been thorough with my research into this species because we don't have it here (as far as I know, the two species of this genus we have here are T. bicarinatum and T. spinosum, neither of which is super similar to T. caespitum/sp. E).

Either way, I still think that people mix up multi-queen colony founding with true polygyny. That and reports from Europe and/or parts of the Midwest with T. tsushimae.

Edited by cpman, July 20 2017 - 7:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users