• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica Rufa help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline wigchert - Posted July 7 2017 - 11:53 AM

wigchert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey guys!

So I just got back from the woods, looking for queens. I stumbled upon something really interesting! There was a huge migration happening of Formica Rufa (or a very close relative), ants everywhere with brood in their jaws, but also a bunch of queens walking around. I had some jars with me so I caught 2 queens (there were plenty left) and a few workers.

I'm really new to ant keeping so in hindsight, after reading a bit more about the species, I could have better gotten some of the brood instead. I now have 2 queens in separate test tubes and 4 workers in a Tupperware box. I tried to introduce one of the queens to the workers but they immediately started attack her.

The reason why I tried to introduce the queen to the workers was because I read that this species is parasitic. This would mean that if I leave them in a test tube alone, they won't make it?

Is there anything I can do to attempt at least 1 colony happening?

Thanks!

#2 Offline wigchert - Posted July 7 2017 - 12:13 PM

wigchert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

After reading some more about how Formica species have slave ants. I don't think what I saw was a migration but rather a raid on another Formica species and them stealing the brood for slaves. Interesting!

#3 Offline wigchert - Posted July 7 2017 - 12:24 PM

wigchert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

It's also probably Formica sanguinea instead of Formica rufa.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 7 2017 - 5:56 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You'll want to get them identified first. I don't think taking from established colonies is the best way to start the hobby. Formica rufa (which often have satellite nests that they move between) are a protected species in many European countries.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users